• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New look ukaps forum and website

Guys there is a button for new posts "Whats New?" at the top and at the bottom on the right hand side this is a "New Posts" button also. Not sure what is the confusion there, to see any updates on topics you created or participated just again at the top click on "Watched Threads", is all there always on every page.

Also one thing which is better here, that new topics not disappear after a while from new posts. In the old ecosystem once you seen the new posts and topic were listed and you did not had time to go over on them, next time when you visited the page those topics disappeared from the new queue. Here you could not miss things. So there's an advantage of the what's news function. I highly recommend to use it.

Also since the system is caching the lists the what's new page URL now is different than you would see a few hours later. For this reason better to click on what's new link than refresh the current page.

Look like I may be buying tapatalk. I love the new look forum and once you get used to the layout it's quite intuitive. Unfortunately it seems a bit shaky on mobile devices although I can get round it. On blackberry playbook it's difficult to open the text input screen. It's as if it can't see it and on my blackberry phone pressing space deletes the previous word. You can get round this by letting the Blackberry predict text the word and pick that rather than type yourself and space.
Can I also make perfectly clear that this criticism is purely constructive hoping LD might be able to pick the bones out of why it's doing it. I know LD put a 15 hour shift in getting it online and was still battling on with it Christmas Eve :eek: Looking through the boards I see he's still trying to solve stuff! A lesser man would have left it to after the new year. I would say enjoy the rest of you're holiday mate every thing's basically working and just needs a polish.
Does anybody know if Tapatalk has its own version of a browser or uses the generic one off the phone? I have stayed away from it as new posts I'm subscribed to and any messages I get an email sent which I guess is pretty much same as tapatalk does. If tapatalk just opens the browser on my phone I fear it might not solve the issues I am having.

Guys there is a button for new posts "Whats New?" at the top and at the bottom on the right hand side this is a "New Posts" button also. Not sure what is the confusion there, to see any updates on topics you created or participated just again at the top click on "Watched Threads", is all there always on every page.
Well if you press 'Whats New' you can see the post made since your last visit but, as soon as you have looked at them (not posted on them) they disappear from the Whats New list!
So if you log on, check what new, then once you have checked all the post & have decided to answer a few they have now all gone from the list.

Does anybody know if Tapatalk has its own version of a browser or uses the generic one off the phone?
Tapatalk is its own application and would recommend for mobile devices. I do not have a Blackberry to test the forum with, therefore its hard to make changes and test them, the best bet is to go with Tapatalk.

Well if you press 'Whats New' you can see the post made since your last visit but, as soon as you have looked at them (not posted on them) they disappear from the Whats New list!
That is not true, to the right hand side you have a link called "All Recent Messages" if you click on it you will get all the read and unread posts, its all there just takes a few seconds to try the links and find out what they do, I will write a small navigation tutorial to highlight these features.

Well I do apologise! Like I have pointed out this is not a familiar forum format!
No need to apologise, its good to let us know as others might be having the same issues and therefore everyone becomes more familiar with the forum structure. I am here to guide in the right direction ;)

The reason I decided with this forum software is that its more modern and after playing with it for a couple of weeks it became a lot more intuitive than most other software I have used in the past, I did have a look at vBulletin, IPB, SMF and a couple of others but they are all very similar to PHPBB and have a feel that has been there for years, looks very old fashioned and coding has come a long way since then, Xenforo was a very attractive software and very easy to manipulate and install addons etc... due to the way its been written.

I will create a quick navigation guide when I have some spare time to at least point out the best way to navigate around the forum so that yourself and other can be a little more familiar with the software. ;)

No need to apologise, its good to let us know as others might be having the same issues and therefore everyone becomes more familiar with the forum structure. I am here to guide in the right direction ;)
. ;)
Well the "All Recent Messages" is a little confusing as to me that implies private messaging but I guess that is because I am a pond designer not a forum designer ;)
However all is clear now thank you :)

Well the "All Recent Messages" is a little confusing as to me that implies private messaging
PM has been replaced with Conversations ;)

Just a quick one guys, how do I now edit the title of my journal? I can only see how to edit my text.
Hi Gary, can you try again and let me know if it works now. cheers

Hi Paulo, sorry my mistake, yes I can now edit it under 'thread tools' and then 'edit thread' which works a treat - is there a way though that I can edit the title when adding a new post/comment?

PS, the work that you have done on the site is fantastic:thumbup:

is there a way though that I can edit the title when adding a new post/comment?
Afraid you will need to use thread tools or after you update it, you can also edit the title from the thread list.

Hi,
Is there a way to 'reply' to replies from split pages, as currently when im using the reply function and then move to the next page it refreshes your text box. I've got around this by replying to responses from each page separately but I may be missing a simple solution?
Thanks
Ady.

I've got around this by replying to responses from each page separately but I may be missing a simple solution?
What you can do is move to the next page then click on the last icon of the first row called "Restore Auto saved content" and that will bring back the content you typed on the previous page and you can carry on. Hope that helps, this is not a feature of the software, this is something I have added afterwards.

What you can do is move to the next page then click on the last icon of the first row called "Restore Auto saved content" and that will bring back the content you typed on the previous page and you can carry on. Hope that helps, this is not a feature of the software, this is something I have added afterwards.
Ah, cool, should have remembered that from a previous discussion about saving posts!
Thanks.

yes I can now edit it under 'thread tools' and then 'edit thread' which works a treat
One thing I forgot to mention is that editing the title of the thread also changes the URL of the post therefore if the thread is linked elsewhere this might break links and bookmarks as we are now using "Friendly URLs" which are better for search engines. We might put a timer on the first post editing to 7 days or something otherwise people might start complaining about broken links, and members will just have to live with a fixed thread title.

Hi, love the new look and I appreciate the hard work you guys have put in, I just have a couple of issues with it. I dont know about everyone else but I would prefer the date and time of the post at the top of a post or at the very least in a darker/bolder font. The other thing I dont like is that in the threads list, the threads with more than one page have their page nos and last page links hidden unless you hover the mouse over it rather than page 1 2 3 last page always visible

Other than that I think its quite fresh. How about another colour sceme with a HC shade green background and dark grey font. I think it would look nice :D

Edit : Just went through the form as usual and I definitely feel that the secondary text or whatever with the posters name and date, etc even in the topics list is way too light for me and with the bright white background causes a bit of eyestrain. I'd say a little bolder and darker should do the trick.

Thanks Mortis, I will have a look at the things you mention and see what I can do about them, there is a UKAPS Dark theme as well, have you tried that one? Bottom left hand corner where it says UKAPS Light, click on it and you can select an alternative theme.

Paulo - a 404 to be fixed, when you have donated, the url that PayPal redirects you to on the site is 404.

Back