• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New filter for 120x60x50 hightech tank

Paulus

Planning an upgrade on my current tank to a 120x60x50.
Also will it get a twinstar light and co2 etc.
Currently having a Eheim 2217 (and a biomaster 850T which will return to the shop because of the air purging problem and noise).
So i'll go back to Eheim. (sorry oase)

But which model/type would you suggest for use in this size tank?

My setup isn't high energy but I have the exact same dimensions as you.

I use an Eheim 2217 and an Eheim 2213 (+ a Hydor Koralia 1600). The flow is great, and I could probably get away with not needing the powerhead if I upgraded the 2213 to a 2215 or 2217.

So maybe another Eheim? Unless you wanted the integrated heater. I believe Eheim do a thermo too. They're not the best in terms of ease of maintenance but they're practically immortal and spare parts a'plenty.

yeah the eheim 2217 is still a great filter. Cleaned it today put all the media back (which i used shortly in the biomaster to test) :p
Still need to replace the rotor. But mabe i can do that tomorrow (if the store is open because of covid rules etc).
After giving the filter a good clean and the filter media a good "clean" to remove the dirt etc (in aquariumwater) it runs perfect again. Flow is pretty good again.

So i think i'll return the biomaster and maybe get a second 2217 (they are also pretty cheap these days) once i get the new tank etc.
Or combine it with another eheim which have a build in heater.

Cleaning the old classic filers was never an issue here. Got the filter media in bages so i can take them out pretty fast.

Its a shame to here of issues with the 850T. If you are looking for a circulation pump, I can highly recommend the AI Nero 3, can shift huge amounts of flow if needed from such a small footprint.

yeah the 850T went back today. Wasn't happy with the air + noise of the head.
So today time to replace the eheim rotor so the filter can run again deadly silent in the cabinet and living room :)

Almost bought a second 2217. It was now 119 euro......
But i'll first need to wait for some MDF so i can build a new cabinet for the 120 tank. But covid and stores....... :(

With the current outflow of the 2217 i don't need a circulation pump anymore (still having a hydor laying around somewhere which i just few years ago) :)

Hi,
I have same problem with Oase Biomaster thermo 600, drawing air to the filter chamber. I have changed most of the parts, only heater remains original. Looks like it's common problem, with those filters.
Good luck with new set up.

Hi,
I have same problem with Oase Biomaster thermo 600, drawing air to the filter chamber. I have changed most of the parts, only heater remains original. Looks like it's common problem, with those filters.
Good luck with new set up.
I use to think that but then realised 2 things:
1) air is getting sucked in if you have a surface skimmer attachment to the inlet which contributes to trapped air (i haven't used the filter with a standard inlet to compare)
2) it's more likely a build up of CO2 bubbles (if you use CO2) as the "air" is usually trapped underneath the head.

During the period i used the biomaster (with the default in & outflow) air was still trapped inside the canister. Co2 was turned off because i use a aquamedic 1000 reactor and this has a 12/16 connector and i wanted to test the filter first before i reconnected everything . So the tank was running without co2, air, bubbles. :p
Still lots of air in it. Oase solution was to put an extra hose clamp on the inflow tube.... But it should work even with glass lily pipes etc later on. I don't want to put on extra clips on the tubing (even when i didn't suck air at that location).

Still the idea of a pre-filter is nice and good. But if the rest isn't working like i would expect... :p

During the period i used the biomaster (with the default in & outflow) air was still trapped inside the canister. Co2 was turned off because i use a aquamedic 1000 reactor and this has a 12/16 connector and i wanted to test the filter first before i reconnected everything . So the tank was running without co2, air, bubbles. :p
Still lots of air in it. Oase solution was to put an extra hose clamp on the inflow tube.... But it should work even with glass lily pipes etc later on. I don't want to put on extra clips on the tubing (even when i didn't suck air at that location).

Still the idea of a pre-filter is nice and good. But if the rest isn't working like i would expect... :p
That's a shame, i don't have much trapped air but i do get trapped CO2 during the photoperiod, but after it's turned off the filter no longer has any trapped CO2 or air as it it doesn't purge when tilted.

I don't think the hoses need an extra clamp, but they definitely need to be seated and tightened properly, which i didn't do when i set it up - i thought i did but the new tubing was too rigid to begin with before the warm water relaxed them to take their shape.

In my case, you can clearly hear that air is drawing in some part. It's a metallic sound every some time. I have bought new motor head, heater adapter, priming pump from Aquapet, and Oase has sent me new motor head and aquastop as a warranty. Nothing has helped. I do not have surface skimmer attached to the Oase Biomaster. I have SunSunJY-03 surface skimmer. As I had so many spare parts already, I have decided to buy canister and baskets to set another one and check will it be the same scenario.

Thinking if the Eheim professionel 4+ 350T would be a nice addition (combined with the 2217) to add it as an extra filter. Plus it has a build in heater.
Also noticed there are 5+ version but they have much higher prices.

Back