• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

Thanks again for the info, not to hijack your thread but below is pic of tank. Superfish 90 with leds so (crispy) leaves are actually beyond the light!
Low tech and adding tnc 1ml a day, may well up it and add more root tabs.
View attachment 175708

You can’t hijack this thread @Tim Lee

We’ve had dialogue about vegetables and lawns. Watched as two ADA Solar RGB’s were used to propagate vegetables in a pandemic. Laughs, jokes, gear reviews and even the occasional journal post about the actual scape 😂

Post away buddy without a second thought, not precious about journals. They’re a means of talking to good folk 👍🏽

As for the swords… no light and heat rising from the passive cooling of the light unit is unfavourable. On the plus side you can grow new leaves pretty quick so don’t be afraid to the cut the ones that are past their prime.

Well it is Halloween, seems rude to not have a spooky tank accessory ;)

Precisely. Also the kids don’t know that there’s a Bluetooth speaker hidden under the cabinet and their dear old dad has designs on how halloween will go down this year 🎃 👻

They’re old enough now to take a fright and laugh it off…. Hopefully… 😝

Lovely mist! Brillant idea…as always…
May I ask where did you buy the mist maker and how is the quality? Seems difficult to find a nice one these days :) thanks

Lovely mist! Brillant idea…as always…
May I ask where did you buy the mist maker and how is the quality? Seems difficult to find a nice one these days :) thanks

From Jeff Bezos again. It’s this one by FITNATE.

It is identical to the DOOA unit but a third of the price.

DOOA:

1634885691743.jpeg

FITNATE:

1634885753842.jpeg

There is no discernible difference in quality or design between these two units. The discs will need cleaning or replacing regardless of which ultrasonic mist maker you buy. Not had long enough to gauge this one @CooKieS but would imagine it’s lifetime will depend upon how it is used.

Haha thanks Geoffrey , I love Dooa stuff but wouldn’t buy anything more than their glass products…the rest is just too expensive to justify.
Will take a look on your A***on mist maker :)

Are there any issues with increased room humidity/damp/evaporation with these things?

Not yet really. But there could be. Mate’s mister on their terrarium locally discoloured the wall behind it.

400ml/hour evaporation the unit is rated at. In my head it was the splashing that would increase that rate by pinging droplets about the place, hence using the lid on the little breeder box to control this so only mist pours out.

1634889887544.jpeg

It works and will be hidden behind the growth soon.

Have a chamber on the autodoser filled with RO and just manually replace as and when currently. Only running it for an hour a day at the moment though @Wookii . Plan is to do 5 minutes every hour on a timer, then will match the evaporation with the autodoser replacing with RO.

As the plants all grow emersed they should capture the moisture as well as intending to raise the lights and let the back wall go rampant with growth.

Not yet really. But there could be. Mate’s mister on their terrarium locally discoloured the wall behind it.

400ml/hour evaporation the unit is rated at. In my head it was the splashing that would increase that rate by pinging droplets about the place, hence using the lid on the little breeder box to control this so only mist pours out. It works.

Have a chamber on the autodoser filled with RO and just manually replace as and when currently. Only running it for an hour a day at the moment though @Wookii . Plan is to do 5 minutes every hour on a timer, then will match the evaporation with the autodoser replacing with RO.

As the plants all grow emersed they should capture the moisture as well as intending to raise the lights and let the back wall go rampant with growth.

Will be interested to read how you get on when the central heating gets switched on - could be a good solution if it stops the emersed growth drying out.

Will be interested to read how you get on when the central heating gets switched on - could be a good solution if it stops the emersed growth drying out.

Will keep you updated. Emersed has never worked in this room over winter before so it is hopefully a step forwards.

That looks cool 😎 always have like misters, creates a great effect and if helps the plants drying out thats even better.

Precisely. Also the kids don’t know that there’s a Bluetooth speaker hidden under the cabinet and their dear old dad has designs on how halloween will go down this year 🎃 👻

They’re old enough now to take a fright and laugh it off…. Hopefully… 😝
what could possibly go wrong Geoff, terrified kids beside a glass box……

Tank is looking great and the mister is a great find.

Slowly tweaking this setup ready for the emersed growth along the back wall:

1635288580275.jpeg

Sorted the foreground for starters, finger and thumb prune. Not much else though yet. Did start nipping the trident fern back to get some wood visible on the left hand side, but there’s still plenty to be removed. It is under there, somewhere. For now you can at least see the Buce on the left side again though.

Expecting a shift in demands as the L. palustris and L. arcuata get topside. Just starting:

1635288868311.jpeg

1635289038316.jpeg

There’s better contrasts to be had by making the groupings towards the front simple, like removing the pinnatifida from the Bolbitis for a cleaner look.

Not a clue how it will look in a month from now though so avoiding removing too much. However, the mister is doing its job and even the Hyptis is growing side shoots that haven’t dried to a crisp:

1635289564301.jpeg

Nearly two weeks with the mister/breeder box combo and can recommend it to anyone struggling with humidity for emersed growth:

1635793664315.jpeg

1635793685039.jpeg

New growth is healthy above the surface. A few leaves crisped up on the Hyptis so replaced the old timer with one that has 18 separate on/off inputs per day. Comes on every hour for ten minutes during the day, every two hours for ten minutes during the night. Makes full use of the full 18 timer inputs available and has stopped any crisping up of leaves.

1635793924042.jpeg

Tank still needs trimming into shape, will start suffering from circulation related issues otherwise. But a different dosing regime has slowed the pace and is buying time as it’s a busy month ahead. Dosing equivalent of ADA and Tropica TPN+ on alternate days. Coming to the one year mark and this seems to suit the tank since dropping root tabs as a source of nutrient availability.

Just think what the average tank containing white cloud mountain minnows looks like, it probably has a castle in it, then look what yours live in. They have to be the luckiest minnows there are. It's no wonder they are so vibrant.

Wow, thats impressive! My tanks dont even produce half that much. I usually cant get myself to instantly toss it out so keep the cuttings in the bucket for a bit in the hopes I can help someone with it but I dont know anyone irl who would have use, so end up tossing it in the bin after a few days anyways.

Wow, thats impressive! My tanks dont even produce half that much. I usually cant get myself to instantly toss it out so keep the cuttings in the bucket for a bit in the hopes I can help someone with it but I dont know anyone irl who would have use, so end up tossing it in the bin after a few days anyways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
Back