• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Co2 DIY FE setup\advice

madlan

Hi all,

I'm looking at using a 2kg fire extinguisher for Co2 but a little confused on the available regulators.
I want a solenoid to save gas and as few bubbles within the tank as possible but the rest im not too sure.

These two regulators seem ok - any experience\input on the difference?

CO2 Regulator#Live Aquarium Plant Diffuser Fish Tank SI £64.95 (£19.95)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Regulator...8?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a4fb7150c

CO2 Regulator Dual Gauged Solenoid Magnetic Valve A153 £48.00 (£15 p+p)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320547761217&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I plan to use an AM1000 reactor to minimise bubbles (rather than an inline diffuser):

AQUAMEDIC/AQUA MEDIC CO2 REACTOR 1000 £64.95
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUAMEDIC-AQU...0?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item33497fce1c

Anything else needed? Normal airline ok?

I'd be interested to hear your results of having the heater on the inlet of the Fluval 405. As I currently have an AM1000 on the outlet of my 405 and have a Hydor External heater sat ready to go inline. Never thought of having it on the inlet. Will that cause any problems?

madlan said:
I just ordered the UP regulator

Could you let us know your thoughts on the UP regulaor once received and installed, I know TOM has said his happy with the UP regulator, but I have read so many bad reviews on this one.

Really? I did a quick search and it seemed ok, what's wrong with it? Solenoid?

Hi Bob,

How are you finding the AM1000? I'm hoping it will mean enough Co2 without bubbles in the tank.
I'm guessing the heater will be fine on the inlet on a low stock tank, it shouldnt be difficult to clean every few months either. What does it look like inside, is it a clear channel for water flow?

I can't find one at the moment, I've been told they will be in stock at the end of the month.

Thanks
Alan

madlan said:
Really? I did a quick search and it seemed ok, what's wrong with it? Solenoid?

Hi Alan. Dont be alarmed :) I think I exaggerated when i said so many bad reviews. I meant to say rather that I've seen a few reviews about a couple of the solenoids developing a fault (they did say this would appear sooner rather than later).

To be fair though, this could happen with any product, cant it?

I've been toying with getting either this UP reg or the German Lunapet reg and am just keen to get some personal reviews from real users, as I dont think its fair to judge products on some random internet review.

I trust in the reviews from the forum users

All the best, Jason

madlan said:
Hi Bob,

How are you finding the AM1000? I'm hoping it will mean enough Co2 without bubbles in the tank.
I'm guessing the heater will be fine on the inlet on a low stock tank, it shouldnt be difficult to clean every few months either. What does it look like inside, is it a clear channel for water flow?

I can't find one at the moment, I've been told they will be in stock at the end of the month.

Thanks
Alan

It works very well for me. It has reduced the flow rate some mind you... I believe that the external heater is straight throw , but haven't really looked at it recently. I guess I'd have to put a shutoff valve about it to aid cleaning.

Back