• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Barrel Pond

tryingmybesttryingmybest

Hi I'm new to all this so forgive me if I muck it up, I need advice .
I set up a 30 litre barrel pond last thursday, So far ive got a solar fountain and plants in there.
Ive got a lilly, elodea a water shamrock, society garlic and something else plant wise and the water is nice and clear.
I'm planning to add about 5 or 6 little white clouds coz they are more hardy than little goldfish but I don't know if I'm going to need a filter.
Any help please.

I have a small barrel pond. It’s planted with elodea. I put a few male endlers in over the summer months. I return them to my heated pond when it gets cooler.

Thanks for your advice, I put my white clouds in today, and to be honest they are invisible..I acclimated them first and they were happy as Larry, when I released them they vanished. I know they will be hiding in the plants but all 6 of them together didn't make a quatre of a small goldfish so I think I'm OK.. What I need advice on is if I will need a small filter.
When the weather gets too cold I plan on bringing them indoors (if i can find them).
Cheers.

I haven’t got any filtration installed in the barrel. I don’t know what the bio load will be for the White Clouds though. They’re bigger than endlers. You could consider something that could cascade into the barrel (smaller barrel?) with some filter media or planted. This would increase the capacity of water you have as well.

Back