• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New aquarium keeper and aquascaper attempt

Plantarium

Seedling
Hi all,

I'm new to the hobby and was inspired by some of the wonderful tanks here and on YouTube.
I wanted to share what my attempt at an aquascape on my 60x30x30 cm tank and get your thoughts on how to improve it and some advice on filter inlet/outlet placement.
IMG_20200626_200911.jpg

I am planning to out sand in the front, leading to the point to the middle/rear area, hence why I've put the filter floss to form a barrier of sorts.

However one problem I have is with my filter inlet, the top of it goes off the edge of the picture as I can't physically put it in lower without plonking it into the substrate:
IMG_20200626_201122.jpg

Any tips on what I can do with the inlet pipe? I was thinking making a "hole" in the substrate to allow the inlet in - I was planning to get an inlet with surface skimmer which is pretty much the same size as my current one, would that work?

Any feedback on the Scape is welcome, thanks :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but my replacement inlet is a stainless steel one - prefer the look of them and want the surface skimmer version which doesn't come in a "smaller" form

I was thinking making a "hole" in the substrate to allow the inlet in - I was planning to get an inlet with surface skimmer which is pretty much the same size as my current one, would that work?
You’ll be forever moving substrate that’s fallen back around the inlet.

Any tips on what I can do with the inlet pipe?
You'll have to cut it. Eventually you will get really comfortable with cutting and joining pipes. Welcome to the hobby!

btw your scape looks really nice!

Hi belated update to my tank.

Finally decided on plants and flooded the tank:
IMG_20200725_001041.jpg

Light: Chihiros A Plus
Filter: External Canister Filter - went with glass inlet/outlet as the Stainless steel ones I got from AliExpress started rusting within a week.
Co2: None yet, want to see how the plants grow and I'm worried about cost and setting it up- knowing my luck ill explode it all over the room
Plants List:
AR Mini, Bucephelandra, rotala H'ra, Rotala Orange Juice, Limnophilia Mini Vietnam, Rotala Green.
I've planted in a way that the plants go from red to green from the middle outwards, hoping for a sunset effect with the plants, so waiting for it to grow in and mess up my plans.

Currently thinking about stocking options, I wanted "interactive" stock such as schooling fish like the Rummynose Tetra, but read that you need at least 75 litres.
The Mrs just wants something colourful, but I think guppies don't really sit right with the Scape, what are your guys thoughts?

Have a look at; Green Neons, Ember Tetras, Cherry Barbs, Five-banded Barbs, Copper Harlequins, or Black Phantom Tetras.

Back