• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Aquael Ultramax

As i said I have used VIV lily pipes for both inlet and outlet but now only using it for outlet since for inlet I had the feeling it restricted flow.

Any brand recommendation or any that can actively support this Flow?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Update:

Ultramax 2000 is now dead for a month. I have been trying to get a replacement pump and have been pushed around by aquael to local distributors that had really no way of helping.

There are already on the third version of the head and now they use 19mm pipes which leads me to the initial conclusion that 16/22mm are probably not enough for the 2000l/h and might in the long run lead to pump failure. There are no glass pipes that support that flow, as far as I know, at least, on the 16/22mm measure.

Their costumer service is quite bad. I loved the aquael filter while it lasted but I really can no longer recommend it since when you will need to replace anything you are out of luck.

spare parts are yet not easily available and it’s a pain to get a part replaced. It’s a pity since I really liked this filter.

The fact you can’t get the parts easily and that their customer service is really not focused towards helping customers solve their issues for me this has become a no go. Really disappointed.

Last edited:
Aquaels customer service has a reputation as notoriously/exceptionally bad in this part of the world. If I wasn’t very friendly with my lfs I’d have been totally out of luck when I’ve had issues. The quality of all of their products I’ve tried seems “okay for the price” then rapidly falls off with age. I’ve never had a pat mini last longer than 9months. The first 30l tank from them leaked, I then had a faulty filter and a faulty light all of which aquael themselves just wouldn’t help sort out. In the end I just got a refund and bought a Blau tank which was also “okay for the price” but had the benefit of a no questions asked 2 year warranty from the lfs and bought an eheim filter which similarly I have no concerns of quality with.

Update 2: So after 2-3 months i finally managed to get customer service to deal with my complain. Got the part needed this week. It was 3 long months or so, with constant emails back and forward to fix it.

It was draining and painful to get it sorted. They apparently dont deal with customers directly and you need to go via the seller, which in my case, was not responding to emails, so ultimately, as an exception, they managed it directly.

Finally its up and running again and working great as it used to. Although the top part is improved, i still use the 16/22mm fittings. So far no issues.

I see that aquasabi now offers some parts (like rotors) so hopefully this might change in the future. I realy like the filter for its construction and noise levels, but not having parts available is a deal breaker.

Planning on buying a second filter to replace my old 2217 and might give oase biomaster thermo 600 a go. I bit reticent about possible noise issues but having the heater built in and the the easy pre-filter is a plus.

How does OASE handle a CO2 reactor (aquamedic 1000)? I know the aquael in the past had issues with it but the eheim 2217 worked great.

Last edited:
Update 2: So after 2-3 months i finally managed to get customer service to deal with my complain. Got the part needed this week. It was 3 long months or so, with constant emails back and forward to fix it.

It was draining and painful to get it sorted. They apparently dont deal with customers directly and you need to go via the seller, which in my case, was not responding to emails, so ultimately, as an exception, they managed it directly.

Finally its up and running again and working great as it used to. Although the top part is improved, i still use the 16/22mm fittings. So far no issues.

I see that aquasabi now offers some parts (like rotors) so hopefully this might change in the future. I realy like the filter for its construction and noise levels, but not having parts available is a deal breaker.

Planning on buying a second filter to replace my old 2217 and might give oase biomaster thermo 600 a go. I bit reticent about possible noise issues but having the heater built in and the the easy pre-filter is a plus.

How does OASE handle a CO2 reactor (aquamedic 1000)? I know the aquael in the past had issues with it but the eheim 2217 worked great.

Hi there,

I had these filters;
-Aquael utramax 2000 (5 blades rotor axle broke after 2 months, got a new 6 blade rotor after 5 weeks, works fine since 5 month now...let's see how it hoes in the future)
-Eheim pro 4+ 600, loved the silence and flow , disliked the cheap plastics and low filter media capacity
-Oase biomaster thermo 600, superb quality, average flow, horrible humming noise, had to get rid of it, it's just too noisy in my living room
-Actually running the Aquael Ultra 1200, good flow, good capacity, quite silent...cheap price, seems more reliable than the ulltramax series (no prefilter)

Well the ideal filter to me would be the price and the capacity of the Aquael, with the noise and the customer service from Eheim and the prefilter /plastic/ thermo option from the Oase....hard choice.

Hi there,

I had these filters;
-Aquael utramax 2000 (5 blades rotor axle broke after 2 months, got a new 6 blade rotor after 5 weeks, works fine since 5 month now...let's see how it hoes in the future)
-Eheim pro 4+ 600, loved the silence and flow , disliked the cheap plastics and low filter media capacity
-Oase biomaster thermo 600, superb quality, average flow, horrible humming noise, had to get rid of it, it's just too noisy in my living room
-Actually running the Aquael Ultra 1200, good flow, good capacity, quite silent...cheap price, seems more reliable than the ulltramax series (no prefilter)

Well the ideal filter to me would be the price and the capacity of the Aquael, with the noise and the customer service from Eheim and the prefilter /plastic/ thermo option from the Oase....hard choice.
Good to hear the eheim review - I just placed an order for one. Only oase filters I’ve come into contact with are so loud.

Further back you’ll see my experiences with aquael… Lordy.

I honestly like the aquael and find it to be quite silent. Having a heater built in would be a plus for sure.

Now since I have an extra pre-filter for the aquael ultramax cleaning is even easier since I can just swap the entire pre-filter with the spare one and clean it afterwards. My issue with aquael is reliability and in case it dies I would not like to go through all this pain again. Also with the original head I had issues with the CO2 reactor. I think it could be due to air being released by the filter that was collected in the CO2 reactor and made quite some pressure that made the filter stop. Used it for 2-3 days found the filter stopped and then changed the reactor to the eheim 2217. Never had issues again but it’s getting quite old and the canister bucket needs to be replaced. I know the new aquael head had improvements, not really sure which ones but one was the rotor lock mechanism.

I saw the new aquael series and the 1400 seemed interesting but no prefilter which would mean more frequent cleaning. Not really worried about the media capacity since it’s a 120P and with the ultramax plus a second one is more than enough. More worried about reliability, noise levels, easy maintenance and that could actually handle the aquamedic 1000 reactor.

The oase fulfill all the points except for the vibrations/rotor noise. It was about time for them to release an updated version with less noise just like the ultramax. That would be the best. I keep on hearing mixed reviews on the biomaster 600 and the 850 is even worse noise wise. You can even tell from the YouTube videos available.

I didn't see this thread before ordering a ultramax 1000. That was a mistake. My new filter it leaking after 30-60min. Doesn't matter if its setup with media or without baskets.
Its leaking at the back, from the seal between bucket and top. Is there anything i can do to try and fix it, or should i just give it away for spareparts?

I didn't see this thread before ordering a ultramax 1000. That was a mistake. My new filter it leaking after 30-60min. Doesn't matter if its setup with media or without baskets.
Its leaking at the back, from the seal between bucket and top. Is there anything i can do to try and fix it, or should i just give it away for spareparts?

That’s definitely not normal. Never had that happen to me. But pretty sure you can get a new rubber seal if the problem is from the seal.

I would try to check whether the seal was damaged or whether something else is not assembled correctly.

That’s definitely not normal. Never had that happen to me. But pretty sure you can get a new rubber seal if the problem is from the seal.

I would try to check whether the seal was damaged or whether something else is not assembled correctly.

I can't see any damages to the seal, it looks normal. I might try and get a new seal in the new year

I think your consumer rights are stronger in Denmark than the UK. Just take / send it back for a full refund.
I got a full refund from Amazon.
I just haven't been lucky with my canisters other than the eheim 2260 but that's way to big for my small aquarium

I think your consumer rights are stronger in Denmark than the UK. Just take / send it back for a full refund.

I agree you have, at least, a 2 year warranty and if you are under the first days, you probably can just send it back and get a replacement.

I agree you have, at least, a 2 year warranty and if you are under the first days, you probably can just send it back and get a replacement.

I have got my money back, Amazon have great service. Just trying to see where the fault is. I'm pretty sure it's the top part and not the seal the problem is.
Might buy eheim instead

Back