• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nerite Zebra Eating Wrong Diet

Lydia171

Seedling
ok, this is a very hard post to write, as I don't believe it myself, although it has happened to me, my son and our fish.

Atm, my son has a small tank in his bedroom, with a single, veil tail siamese fighter, 2 live plants and a small cave.
I have 2 tanks, one in my bedroom, and a bigger one in my lounge, that is still maturing. My bedroom tank has a phantom half moon siamese fighter (Star) and one zebra nerite (Snaily) who is a perfect companion, keeping all algae away :).

On May the 3rd, after spending the day assisting my son in cleaning algae away in his tank, I suggested I buy him 2 Zebra's (from the same place I acquired mine) to help keep his algae, more under control. We had left a small amount of algae, for them to feed on.

He named his Stripe and Swirl, and they were bought and added to his tank on 3/5.

On the following day, as we could see no sign of any algae being eaten, we did add 1 algae wafer to the tank, me telling my son that as these were baby snails, there mouths were maybe struggling with the algae we had left, but as they grew bigger, I was sure they would eat more algae.
My zebra, keeps the algae down, by grazing it before it has had a chance, to really make a lot of green.
Only his fighter had a section of his tail missing, the only thing I could think of, was fin rot. So duly added correct dosage for this.
By Sunday, his beautiful veil tail, has no tail, and a large chunk of finnage also gone.

I said this isn't good, I'd expect some increase in damage, before healing, but not this amount. We decided to treat the tank again, and, as the only difference with his tank, was the 2 Zebra's, pop them in with my fighter and single zebra.

I also put 3 algae wafer's in.

My original zebra (Snaily) and 1 of his immediately started to munch algae, nom, nom.

When I got up, Mon am, Star also has half his tail missing.

My brain is saying, this cannot be the snails, they eat algae......only, at least one of them, is eating our live fighter's not algae.

I appreciate, that some of you, possibly all, will doubt me, and think that both of our fish have either fin rot, or damaged their beautiful finnage and tails.
I genuinely don't think this, as the only common factor are 2 Zebra snails, and damage to single beautiful fish.

The pet shop will happily give us a refund, I have these 2 snails, quarintined away from my fish and original snail. I can return them, what I would like, though, is to understand why 1 snail possibly 2, prefer live fish tails and finnage, rather than algae.

My apologies, if you have managed to read all this, I appreciate it is very long.

Back