• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

nerite snails

RudeDogg1

Are nerite snails i spotted one in my tank today well least i think it is god knows where it came from. My question is are they a pest species or good clean up?

Themuleous

Nerites look like this

zebra_nerite.jpg

They are much larger than any of the pest snails you get. They also dont breed in freshwater, so unless you've added them yourself I would have to say they aren't nerties. Have you added some plants recently? That tends to be the easiest route into a tank, as the eggs can be attached to the leaves

Sam :)

RudeDogg1

The shell is a similar size but brown with goldie flecks. All plants I've added have been soaked in pp befor I plant so I'm surprised anything has got past that should I yank it out if I spot it again? There is an uninvited lone rams horn in there somewhere to. Oh I posted your needle valve you might be lucky and get it tomoz

Rudi

RudeDogg1

seem to be spotting loads now and babies no idea where they came from as all plants added had a pp dip befor i planted them. Found a couple empty adult shells so the loaches have been hunting some of them