• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need to restart my tank due to algae. Are plants salvageable?

Arturosito

I lost the battle against thread algae even though I did apparently everything right. An expert here is suggesting to restart. Most plants have algae and I have a big collection. I'm wondering if I can keep them emersed meanwhile and spray them with bleach or something to get rid of every trace of algae meanwhile.

If you have a lot of plants and your willing to treat them, go for it. But I don’t think it would be worth it to save anything but epiphytes or larger leaf plants. Delicate plants like rotala would prob not make it through a treatment if they are riddled with bad algae. Your not alone in your frustration, and sometimes a do over is exactly what is needed just to refresh your own sanity.

Some plant species transition easier to emerse growth, depending on what plants you have, this maybe more/less successful

Definitely do NOT spray with bleach!
As the plants transition to emerse growth, they will likely leave most of the algae behind on the old, damaged leafs/stems and you’ll eventually have some nice healthy plants again

Depending on budget and patience, decide if this is a worthwhile venture :)

(I’d give it a go, as it can be done quite cheaply - read through the emerse growth forum here, look at which plants do well in Wabi Kusa - also look at ADA website for plants they provide as Wabi “balls” https://www.adana.co.jp/en/contents/products/wabikusa/index.html

I lost the battle against thread algae even though I did apparently everything right. An expert here is suggesting to restart. Most plants have algae and I have a big collection. I'm wondering if I can keep them emersed meanwhile and spray them with bleach or something to get rid of every trace of algae meanwhile.

I'm sorry but who told you had done everything right?

You didn't. You have posted these issues in the last fortnight.
Wrong /missing ferts
Used pure ro
Too much heat

And then theres probably an inbalance in light and co2 aswell.

Even if you resolved all these issues and remove algea manually combined with regular water changes. There is no way you willl turn it around in a week or two.

Use what you have as a learning eexperience and stick with it. Turn it around and you will learn how to create a balance not have to restart the aquarium every three months.

Use what you have dont throw more money at plants until you have rescued what you have. Otherwise you will only achieve the same results next time.

Yes l would say a few could be saved just go through them individually . Cut any really bad leaves off were needed. You may find good root systems which is a good thing

Back