Need some tank maintence advice

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by Pricey32, 9 Jul 2016.

1. Pricey32

Pricey32 Member

Hey guys

Currently im running a 125l juwel tank with the bioflow with gravel & plants

Im doing my maintence roughly every 2-3 weeks, but what sprang to mind is when im siphoning my tank should i really being trying to get the bits of crap burried underneath or should i be concentration more with the fresher stuff and leave whats below for the plants themselves to break down?

Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated

Pricey

Matt Havens likes this.
  2. britdog

britdog Newly Registered

Only my personal opinion i just tap the top of the gravel in my small tank just to ensure the gravel gets some movement in it. If you dig about to much you can damage the roots of the plants some of the crap as you call it .is good for the plants.ive done this for years with gravel planted tanks with no real issues. Just started on new tank with auqa soil co2 different ball game altogether lol only other thing is try if possible to do water change weekly 2 weeks max 3 weeks is pushing it a bit ifyou have it well stocked with fish

3. frogbit

frogbit Member

How much water do you change every 2 to 3 weeks?

I've always done a 50% wc once a week, but I do use EI Ferts, and I keep fish that don't like high nitrates. I try to get as much of the detritus up as I can. Although it is tricky and I don't want to disturb the plants too much.

I would try to get into the habit of a weekly 20 to 30% water change. It's good practice IMO

4. Pricey32

Pricey32 Member

I normally do around 50% whenever i do a change hence why i dont do it so frequently

5. Smells Fishy

Smells Fishy Member

Try get as much muck/crap, plant bits as you can manage. The trick is to pinch the end of the syhon so it slows the water going into the bucket down, enabling you to do a more furer job.