• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help! ... with DIY Spraybar

Brian Murphy

I have looked at the threads about making diy spraybars but it is the maths part that has me stumped. I have recently purchased a JBL Cristalprofi e1501 filter and I have to make a spraybar for my 90cm tank.
I have already purchased the piping and stop caps etc and have it more or less ready to go bar drilling the holes and thats where I need some help from the mathematicians among you. The only Pie I can work out is the one we eat lol.

20140126_202038_zpsynqi7yp6.jpg

The pipe is from fish,fur & feather and is 16mm and is 86.36cm or 34" long. I just need someone to calculate the best sized holes and how far apart I should space them to get the best flow rate to hit the front glass which is 30cm from back to front. Any help greatly appreciated :)

For my JBL e1501 I bought some extra pieces of JBL spray bar and extra suction cups to extend my spray bar to 90cm. Works fine in my Juwel Vision 180.

So I would suggest same spacing and hole size as JBL spray bar, just for 90cm ?

Could try holes 1/2 mm smaller at a first pass as easier to make holes bigger at a later date.

You would need the actual flow rating that comes out of the end of the bar to stand any chance of calculating any formula....
Try spacing 3mm holes every 50mm but you really need a sacrificial length of spray bar to get the best results.
Arm yourself with several size drill bits & some electrical tape to seal over any excess holes & you will find the best results to pass onto a new length of pipe.

For my JBL e1501 I bought some extra pieces of JBL spray bar and extra suction cups to extend my spray bar to 90cm. Works fine in my Juwel Vision 180.

So I would suggest same spacing and hole size as JBL spray bar, just for 90cm ?

Have you got any videos of the pressure you are getting on the front of the glass?

Could try holes 1/2 mm smaller at a first pass as easier to make holes bigger at a later date.
You would need the actual flow rating that comes out of the end of the bar to stand any chance of calculating any formula....
Try spacing 3mm holes every 50mm but you really need a sacrificial length of spray bar to get the best results.
Arm yourself with several size drill bits & some electrical tape to seal over any excess holes & you will find the best results to pass onto a new length of pipe.

I got a spare piece of pipe just for that purpose but it would be nice to get it in the first go so that I still have a spare for a new tank

How do you avoid burr on the inside of the pipe when drilling holes? ;)

Done it! :) Used a 2mm bit and drilled 6cm apart, hitting front of the glass like a dream.

Was just reading this and was going to say start with small holes first mate. Glad youve got it sorted though mate. I could have made you an acrylic one

That depends if the 2mm holes are too restrictive, it might be 3mm holes at 70mm produce 20% more flow & still maintain enough pressure?
That is my point about trying different configuration as it is so difficult to calculate in real life!

Interesting to know, but in all honesty I think I have good flow now and if not I'll try the 3mm and see if it improves any. Going well so far ;)

Hi sorry to bring up and old thread! I am just about to order the JBL e1501 but i want to order the acrylic tube at the same time. I noticed you said your tube was 16mm was the the internal or external diameter? Thanks

Back