• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

need help with co2

quirkyfish

Seedling
Hi there, I've had an aqua one 40 (55 litre) tank for a while now. I'm wanting to really take this up a notch and have introduced a carpet plant (lilaeopsis brasiliensis) today. I would really like your advice on how and what co2 I should buy and how to use it and anything else I would need to get this plant to grow well and cover my tank bottom. Thanks in advance

Hi I've got an Aqua One nano which is also 55 litre. I use liquid CO2 daily and it's working well with my carpet plants. What light do you have?

I've upgraded the light on my aqua one nano to a Chihiros A-series and it makes all the difference.

20161203_160208.jpg

Welcome to UKAPS. You could start with a full set up ,pressurised,like the D-D using 600g disposable bottles of gas or a smaller set up like the Aqua-One or Fluvals 88g for your aquarium

Thanks guys, I'm just using the light that came with the tank, pretty rubbish to be honest and it's started to fade already. If I upgrade my lighting to a stronger item would it not increase the algae growth, how would I counteract this.

The LED I have has a dimmer. When I set the tank up I only had the light on for 6 hours a day with the LED at 70% and I had close to no algae growth and any that did grow was taken care of by my amano shrimp. After 5 week I increases the LED to 90% strength and then I got quite a lot of algae growing so I've put the LED back down to 70%. When you setup a new tank you will more than likely get algae growth of some sort until your tank settles down and matures. There lots of info on algae here and how to treat it. Your best bet is to get a good cleaning crew - Amano shrimp and Otos are great algae eaters, in a 55 litre tank get a minimum of 5 Amano's and 2 otos. I've read that Swordtails and American flag fish like to eat BBA and true Siamese Algae Eaters are good for cleaning algae too.

Do regular water changes I do 50% every week. Any algae you do get on your hardscape clean off, I'll be using a toothbrush to clean my rocks this weekend with the water change. Liquid carbon is also a good treatment for getting rid of algae but if your got CRBs they are sensitive to liquid carbon as are some mosses. I use 1ml of liquid carbon every day as my CO2 source and my CRBs are fine and so is the weeping moss I have. When I treated my large tank with liquid carbon to get rid of BBA my Christmas moss suffered a bit so I've stopped using it in that tank.

Back