• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need advice on a filter for my shrimp tank

Planted Bows

Hi all,

Need some help picking a new filter for my 30litre shrimp tank.

I currently have the aquael setup with the internal filter, however it's not doing the job. I get alot of surface scum but have alot of surface movement. I cant increase it due to the floating plants I have.

I want something that will provide good filtration but also has a surface skimmer? It's a rimless open top rank, so can house practically anything.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

If you have floating vegitation there are always will be stagnant pockets between it and surface film will always build up there.. I see this in my tank with a sump filter with 2 skimming overflows 1 in each corner left and right.. Flaoting plants will always flow towards the skimmer and since it is floating it will block the first milimeters of surface water to flow in.. When looking at a skimmers placement it only works without slurping if it is placed a few milimeter below the surface, when it is bloked by floating vegitation it will suck in water a bit lower too.

Beter to find out why you have this surface film builds up, if it is constant you might need another fert strategy, look for melting plant parts or (dying) algae can be the cause. Dead critters can cause it. It points to a protien buildup, must come from somewhere. I also have it periodicaly and if i have i count my fish and oftenly i'm missing one. Not always find them back and most likely the cause for the outbreak of surface film, decaying dead critters... In a shrimp tank with loads of shrimps it is difficult to count.. But clean the substrate regularly from any debri and find and remove all melting or discolored old vegitation. It helps to reduce it if not clear it all the way.. :)

If you have floating vegitation there are always will be stagnant pockets between it and surface film will always build up there.. I see this in my tank with a sump filter with 2 skimming overflows 1 in each corner left and right.. Flaoting plants will always flow towards the skimmer and since it is floating it will block the first milimeters of surface water to flow in.. When looking at a skimmers placement it only works without slurping if it is placed a few milimeter below the surface, when it is bloked by floating vegitation it will suck in water a bit lower too.

Beter to find out why you have this surface film builds up, if it is constant you might need another fert strategy, look for melting plant parts or (dying) algae can be the cause. Dead critters can cause it. It points to a protien buildup, must come from somewhere. I also have it periodicaly and if i have i count my fish and oftenly i'm missing one. Not always find them back and most likely the cause for the outbreak of surface film, decaying dead critters... In a shrimp tank with loads of shrimps it is difficult to count.. But clean the substrate regularly from any debri and find and remove all melting or discolored old vegitation. It helps to reduce it if not clear it all the way.. :)
Hi,

I only have a male fighter in there with no more than 10 shrimp. Theres to many hiding places for the shrimp for me to keep count. I only dose easy life products. I use profito,carbo and the odd bit of iron as I know shrimp really don't like that, Other than that I have Co2 injected. I do have a bit of algae bit that seems to be under control now I reduced my lighting period.

I was even thinking about not dosing liquid ferts at all to see of that helped?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I was even thinking about not dosing liquid ferts at all to see of that helped?
Probably not :) I got a non filtered and no fert 25 litre shrimp tank.. It is so full with plants and mosses it is hard to find everything melting or clean substrate without vacuuming plants and mosses out.. And it has surface build up, i guess it's from the melting plant parts.. This all adds protiens and sugars to the water column and creates this film.. I only do a weekly 50% water change.. And very carefully hold the hose at the surface, so i hear it slurping, with a steady hand it work like a charm and suck all off.

If you take a 10mm hose and a piece of 20 or 30 cm 10mm filter tube from the lfs, put it on the hose and with a bit of practice you'll suck it all off. Lift it till you hear it slurping and hold it there and gently go down with the water level. Because it also slurps a lot of air like that you can suck 10 minutes and only 5 litres of water out and all the scum off. Do this 3 times a week if nessecary.. Water changes even if small can never hurt.. :)

Back