• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature Aquarium

Arbinde

Seedling
Hello all,
I am from Lalitpur, Nepal. I am setting up a “new” tank as a “nature” aquarium. I am trying to build a stream/river composition. The tank is a 120cm X 45cm X 45cm. Approximately 240 litres.
The tank is located in a shaded area of the dining room. There is a large window to its right which will be shaded with heavy curtains. A large window about 4 metres away in front. Other windows are further away. My plan is to complete the layout in the coming week.
  1. I want to start the tank without plants and allow it to cycle for two weeks or so.
  2. Then add plants towards the end of August along with CO2.
  3. Once the tank is moderately stable in 2 months or so, add a dozen Amano shrimp.
  4. Followed by half a dozen Octocinclus fishes.
  5. Eventually about 2 dozen or so Rasboras (Harlequin) fishes.
  6. Followed by about half a dozen Boesemani fishes.
The following image is the current state of my composition:
IMG_3626.jpeg

Hardscape:
Seiryu Stone
Drift wood is of Malaysian origin.

Substrate:
Small rocks in bags. (Chinese Origin) along with old media.

Soil:
ADA Amazonia v2

Sand:
Local river sand

Filters:
Oase BioMaster 600
Sunsun HW-304B

Filter Media:
ADA Bio-Rio & Neo Media Pure

Lighting
Chihiros RBG Vivid - 2 units

Plants
Shaded Areas
Cryptocoryne (depending on availability)
Anubias barteri 'Petite'

Water column
Bolbitis heudelotii
Bucephalandra (Variant depending on availability)
Java Moss (I don't like moss too much because of maintenance issues (little bits keep getting blown about and grows)

Background
Cyperus Helferi
Other Stems - I plan to keep other stems as well until the tank is well established and then slow remove them, one by one, until only the Cyperus helferi remains in the background.

My background: This is my third tank. My first was also a nature tank which I got setup just before the COVID lockdowns. This was my learning tank where I learned about plants and fishes, CO2, maintenance, filters etc. This tank is still around, though I have removed the fishes. I am going to give it away soon. The second tank is much better but it suffered a lack of maintenance except regular water changes. The difficulty is that I found that I was allergic to cold water hence could not get anything done until recently.

I am inspired by George Farmer of course as well the Amano himself. I am no means an expert so critiques and suggestions are most welcome.

From my (non-expert) perspective:
  1. It has a great tank length, which is going to give fish a nice run.
  2. I love the large stump-like wood on the right, which dovetails into the rock and continues to curve around. I would say that the entry point of the wood on the right is about a third of the way in, which makes the eye flow from right to left.
  3. Absolutely love the cave on the right, and it is going to be great to see fish utilise that!
  4. The use of hardscape colours looks great, and I think plants and some bright fish will complement the scape.

Back