• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Natural" water

Sanqhar

I fly fish for trout, they are very sensitive to water quality.

The lakes I fish are gin clear and the one river is a classic chalk stream with a good flow.

Is such water useable in an aquarium?

Tom

Is such water useable in an aquarium?
Probably no, as you are more than likely going to bring in some nasty living "other thing", whether it be excessive algae spores and even worse some insect eggs/larvae that will thrive in your tank. You could chlorinate then dechlorinate or UV sterilise before use, but I think you will find tap water (and dechlorinator) very cost effective and safe.

Hi all,
The lakes I fish are gin clear and the one river is a classic chalk stream with a good flow. Is such water useable in an aquarium?
I can see Ian's reservations, but I wouldn't be too worried about them if the source of the water is a trout stream, because as you imply the presence of Trout is a pretty good indicator of water quality.

The major reservations I have would be weight (one litre of water weighs one kilogram), and hardness, about 18dKH for carbonate saturated water.

cheers Darrel

Hi all

Living in the UK, my guess is that it would be much easier to harvest rain water, don't you think? I do harvest water in a place with less than 500 liters/year and it works (only small tanks to be mixed 1:1 with tap water)

Jordi

Back