• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Natural Mountain stone inert?

Pinkmummy79

6a25420d858fd35cf35cf99d6299c213.jpg

Anyone know if this Natural Mountain stone is inert or raises tds etc? From the bay has some nice stuff just unsure what it actually is
Ta Clive

It looks to me as though it's a fairly well crystallized metamorphosed sedimentary rock of some description, so I guess it'd be fairly inert. But you could do the acid test for carbonate minerals just to make sure; it'll effervesce if any are present, which'll be a sure sign it'll raise TDS. Dilute hydrochloric acid is best, but good old vinegar will do. But I suppose it'd be too late then since you would've had to buy it:rolleyes:

Having said that though most of us don't bat an eyelid at using seiryu stone which, in its various guises, is just limestone somewhere along the metamorphic continuum. It usually raises TDS especially in high-tech tanks, but frequent water changes usually keep this in check.

Ta mate
The ebay seller has replied to me saying much the same and also that he'll be putting a new stock of Dragon Stone on his site later too, by going low tech and less water changes is my only concern really, and my shrimp too pal.
No rush anyhows, these pieces would maybe fit in with my plans well eventually, still lots to do first though:rolleyes:

Back