• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Natural light

Matnez

I’m currently in the process of setting up a new 55L tank. Unfortunately the only location for it is near a large north facing bay window so the tank is receiving a lot of natural light (see photos).

The tank is going to be using Co2, Chihiros B series light and it will also have a few emersed plants growing in it most likely a piece Lilly.

In this location am I setting myself up for future problems due to the natural light or is there a way to work with it?

Attachments

• IMG_5980.jpeg
    IMG_5980.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5982.jpeg
    IMG_5982.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5978.jpeg
    IMG_5978.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 40
Love the scape. Provided it doesn’t cause large temp swings, I think you’ll be ok. I’m a big fan of natural sunlight getting to anything living.
It could mean more maintenance due to algae etc…. But only time will tell.

Last edited:
It could mean more maintenance dude to algae etc…. But only time will tell.
Agree with this.

Sadly, my aquarium was very poorly placed and does get direct sunlight at points at both the back and left side. Takes a little more maintenance for sure. (I just had to clear a load of algae out today!!) But its certainly not a problem that makes me want to move the tank!

Love the scape. Provided it doesn’t cause large temp swings, I think you’ll be ok. I’m a big fan of natural sunlight getting to anything living.
It could mean more maintenance dude to algae etc…. But only time will tell.
Thanks!

The temperature should be stable as it won’t receive direct sunlight. It’s good to know I should be ok

Agree with this.

Sadly, my aquarium was very poorly placed and does get direct sunlight at points at both the back and left side. Takes a little more maintenance for sure. (I just had to clear a load of algae out today!!) But its certainly not a problem that makes me want to move the tank!
Good to hear you are managing your tank to a point you don’t feel it’s necessary to move it. Makes me feel more positive about where I have mine placed.

Back