• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano tank

Can anyone recommend any nano tanks? Going to look at getting one soon for my first scape and there's lots of choice!

Not sure about fish, but my scape would mainly be for the plants, especially bucephalandra!

Not quite at the stated budget, but I think a tank with more options (heater can be hidden in the filter area, various lights can be used)

Beta Acuarios Compact line

This is the tank in GreenAqua’s Betta Fish Tank Setup

The Aquael Shrimp tank always shows nicely in the pictures - but that’s the tank shown without heater and filter (the sponge is grand for the shrimp)
You can see a rather nicely scape done by Nicole at Horizon Aquatics in this video from Geordie Scaper (George Farmer mentioned him in a recent video and the “new shop in the North”)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I went for the Aquael Shrimp set smart because the size isn't too daunting for me. And it comes with a filter and light so don't need to worry about them. Just need to read up on stopping algae growth and deciding what plants to put in the tank to complement the Bucephalandra!

Thanks again everyone!

Good call. My first tank was the Aquael shrimp set and it has been great. I did replace the filter with a sponge filter because I was scared about shrimplets getting sucked in. The sponge that comes with it is quite coarse but could easily be replaced.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Also look up how best to “plant” the bucephalandrw. You may want to tie them to decor rather than actually plant them as such...

Great choice i seen them at horizon aquatics and look like a great all in 1 kit.

Make sire you do a journal for us to see progress and help you along.

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

So working at a nursing home the last few months have been intense to say the least. Pretty horrible to be honest. But the other weekend I finally managed to plant up my tank. It's Borneo themed, so contains only bucephalandra, moss, ferns and floating plants. This week I added some blue jelly shrimp. For a first go I'm really happy with it. Even my wife is!
IMG_20200604_115411_238.jpg
IMG_20200604_115411_243.jpg

On full for 12 hours a day. Is that too much? The floating plants off some shade to the plants below.

For submerged plants we normally do 8 hours/day. More just encourages algae.

I’ve got a 17l 25cm cube with a Betta (so low flow, which is a factor) and I’m running the same light at 25%. I turned it up to 50% and my S. Repens melted - presumably too much light. Buce and Annubias in same tank were ok. So it could be S. Repens is just sensitive to changes and would have put up new leaves.

So I’m trying to gauge what power with the ONF Nano is “too much light”. If you get on OK it tells me this is possible and I just need to adjust slowly. Please keep us posted how you get on.

For submerged plants we normally do 8 hours/day. More just encourages algae.

I’ve got a 17l 25cm cube with a Betta (so low flow, which is a factor) and I’m running the same light at 25%. I turned it up to 50% and my S. Repens melted - presumably too much light. Buce and Annubias in same tank were ok. So it could be S. Repens is just sensitive to changes and would have put up new leaves.

So I’m trying to gauge what power with the ONF Nano is “too much light”. If you get on OK it tells me this is possible and I just need to adjust slowly. Please keep us posted how you get on.
I'm still very new to the hobby so learning all the time. I've not seen any melting of any leaves and the tank has been planted almost 2 weeks now. I was using the light this way because I heard that stronger plants means less algae, and I thought stronger light would equal stronger plants. I really don't want to encourage algae.

And I didn't realise you could have a betta in such a small tank. I've just got snails and shrimp in there on clean up duty

Back