• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Nano pond - 2020

@Gill - I thought Smooth newts were protected from sale in the UK, did you buy them online or is it a conservation type thing?

Not trying to catch you out or anything - I love newts so am just curious how you managed to get hold of eggs.

@Gill - I thought Smooth newts were protected from sale in the UK, did you buy them online or is it a conservation type thing?

Not trying to catch you out or anything - I love newts so am just curious how you managed to get hold of eggs.

No Worries. Well that What I thought they were.
Now I am Concerned, as went back to check in Purchase History. And it been removed by Ebay.
So god Knows what and where they are from.
I added them to the Paludarium Tank. And if they make it to getting a to a size that they can be identified. I will post pix of them on here for ID purposes and act accordingly.

Ah no worries - will def be interesting to see what they are once they're bigger.

I occassionally find a smooth newt in the garden, usually nowhere near the water but somewhere damp, and there's small ditch/puddle on one of my regular walks, right on the side of a bridleway! It's mostly boggy mud and it has newts in every year, I'm always excited to see them!

Hi all,
Now I am Concerned, as went back to check in Purchase History.
They are prohibited from sale. In the UK, the smooth newt is protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, with respect to sale only.

Great crested newts are fully protected and so is their habitat etc.
I occasionally find a smooth newt in the garden, usually nowhere near the water but somewhere damp, and there's small ditch/puddle on one of my regular walks
They are <"fairly common in gardens etc.">. When I put the liner in our pond the next day it had newts in there, despite not being anywhere where you would really expect newts.

cheers Darrel

Have Counted 6 of them all together that have hatched and doing well. Pippette in some water from the pond every few days, as teaming with Ostracods. And they seem to enjoy them, aswell as mozzie larvae

Caught a couple for pix
d2d1561766c61e2e398c5bc70be5a0f9.jpg
c2934bcb6311a747485b6b98af541caa.jpg
1408ef3ebd29230692b6e7c12be90ea3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

WCMM longfin fry, these are in a 12 litre tank from BnM. That has a bit of sand a few snails and moss.
Pour in a cup of water from the pond when I remember.
It sits in the shade of the shed. And does not get alot of light.
aefa07ef8b02d6b0bda75fce6509c628.jpg
f138b854795fbe142586c97d260b4ed7.jpg
cd5ad7091c2a1824069073e2ca5d4bb4.jpg
539c9ff0c11ea0942965bd003914c263.jpg
013b94a580132932f3e8dc8b429062f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Did a big trim on the plants last night, as was clogged with moss and elodea.
Saw a few shrimp on the rocks etc, cant see them breeding much. As the Newts will keep the population down.

Back