• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano NatureScape

Thanks Tim, you've a good eye for depth perception, I've only got my iPone 6s camera which tends to flatten images out and make them a bit 2 dimensional.

@Dominik_K, @Nigel95, and @Eduard18 Thanks guys;)

Just a couple of random iPhone shots by way of a quick update...

34546547691_d547ffe6d0_c.jpg

33834467444_25bc1a55bf_c.jpg

It looks great already, looking forward to seeing it more mature. Looks so much different when planted, I had to check back to see if it's the same hardscape as you presented here earlier ;)

Thought I'd update this thread...had a lot of melt and die off; the crypts are looking very sad for themselves and the HC carpet is no more...which is a blessing in disguise since I wasn't looking forward to trimming it in a confined space anyway. And also I think it looks just as good without. I may try some Monte Carlo later, but leave some bare sand in the bottom left hand corner.

The reason for the melt is I've been slow to dial my CO2 in. I ran out of reagent. I've bought some more but I'm not convinced its very accurate, I'm pumping gas in like it's going out of fashion. Well either that or the diffuser isn't doing its job properly. I'm using this stuff, anyone used it?...

s-l500.jpg

Anyway, I don't trust it and have ordered another brand.

So the pics, not much has changed really except for the lack of would-be carpet...and I've trimmed the stems at the back for the first time.

34775271711_c01f31617c_b.jpg

34907198165_628b747c7a_b.jpg

Thanks @CooKieS I didn't know that about CO2 and small tanks...was thinking it'd be proportional, but then physics was never my strong point.
Either way, it's a good job I'm using a fire extinguisher setup for my CO2, one of those mini things would end up costing a fortune:rolleyes:

Another update...gave the mosses a quick trim and had a general maintenance session. Love Nano's; maintenance is a breeze on a small tank, it only takes a jiffy;)

Planted some Monte Carlo, found it in my local Maidenhead, their plant tank has pest snails but somehow they'd already made their slimy way in to the tank anyways:meh:
All the plants are doing well except for the R. chamedryfolia, it's all but died off on me:dead: I've a suspicion the superglue didn't help:(

My Boraras have settled in really well, I'm now seeing much more of them than I did in Windswept, they seem to love it, but then I did design the scape with them in mind:)

And also the first batch of CO2 reagent I bought is OK but it doesn't work as well as the one I'm used to, which is now what I'm using.

34462695054_10edb57d22_c.jpg

34496576483_ef2932d7b0_c.jpg

Darn it...I think I spoke too soon about the plants doing well:(
The new leaves on the Rotala are yellow/white...looks like an iron or CO2 deficiency, for the want of a better explanation, any ideas?:confused:

I'm using TNC complete, and have started to add TNC lite as well.
Been thinking tho' that maybe the TNC is past it's sell by date...is there such a thing? And that perhaps the iron is just no longer available for uptake.

34933234800_9efe1c0ede_c.jpg

Also could be an early sign of potassium deficiency.. The burn/melt and holes is developed in later stadium. I had the same with some Gratiola, yellowing tips almost white all over old and young tips. In later stadium the leaf tips started to curl and burm. First tried micros, no avail, then potassium nitrate, no improvement. Also actualy couldn't be with all the pooping fish and the nitrate in the tapwater.. It improved since dosing some extra pottasium sulphate. :) And it didn't look like a typical pottasium deficiency.. But since K is the all over quality enhancer of the plant, it might not be able to take up some micros sufficiently etc. if it is short on K and misguide you..

Oh at the same time a Nymphoides was showing a Magnisium (yellow leaves / green vains) deficiency also improved with adding K.. :confused:

Thanks Marcel, that makes sense - Liebig's Law of the Minimum an' all.
I'll keep a weather eye out for the later stages of the deficiency, and in the meantime up the dosing.

Hi all,
looks like an iron or CO2 deficiency, for the want of a better explanation, any ideas?
I'm pretty sure it is iron.

It seems to happen a lot with <"Rotala in hard water">.
Also could be an early sign of potassium deficiency..
I don't think it is potassium (K), just because it is the new leaves effected. Iron (Fe), or manganese (Mn), are non-mobile in the plant, and deficiencies effect newer leaves.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel.
I've been dosing regularly but evidently not enough.
Unless...surely my TNC can't be out of date...can it?
I've had it about 14 months.

That's what i do not have, mine is pretty soft, but still gH 8. What just baffled me a bit was what i said above 2 different plants showing 2 different difficiencies and both improved with adding extra 15ppm K2SO4.. :) Beats me, i got what i saw. :)

Thanks Darrel.
I've been dosing regularly but evidently not enough.
Unless...surely my TNC can't be out of date...can it?
I've had it about 14 months.
Hi Tim
Maybe too much.....try a couple of huge water changes no dosing for a week to 2 weeks....observe what happens!
Over dosing of certain fertilizers may have a affect on growth when it comes to Rotala species...I have experienced this personally.
Konrad has also had issues.... Potassium maybe the culprit?
Knowing which one is a trial and error process, which I haven't got time for!
Cheers hoggie;)

Thanks hoggie...I'm discovering that Rotala rotundifolia is a bit of a queer plant.
It's supposedly easy, but the more I look in to it the more I come across folk that have had issues.
It's always grown really well for me in the past, so I guess I can count myself lucky up until now.
Perhaps you're right, I maybe killing it with kindness:rolleyes:

Back