• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Nano forest using heather

Kezzab

Collected some dead heather while on the hills. Have jammed it into a wee 12 ltr tank. I quite like the effect. If i actually turn it into a scape it'll be in a 15ltr tank that's a bit deeper front to back.

Challenge will be to find plants small enough not to quickly overwhelm the hardscape.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
WP_20180603_21_10_15_Rich (3).jpg

Kezzab

I cannot comment on the Heather wood as I have no knowledge of it at all.

Being a small tank it can pose a few concerns especially perspective and the focal point.

Looking at the lower half it looks very interesting. The large rock is the starting point of Aquascape and everything should fade into the distance by thinner DW and smaller rocks which you have done very well.

Its a pity I cannot say the same about the top half. Those two thick pieces on the top look out of place in comparison with the lower half of your Aquascape. Instead of fading off into the distance, all of a sudden they appear as if they are right in front of your eyes.

What is required is heavy at the front and lighter at the back. Very sorry to say those pieces just do not work where they are now.

Keith:wave::wave:

Looks good for such a small tank!

Agree with Keith that perhaps try to have the thicker pieces in front and thinner fading out into distance .

Kezzab

I must admit the smaller the tank space the more difficult it can be. Keep at it and you will get it to the best you can working with all the hardscape you have.

I do not like repeating myself, but if you had made a mock tank all these concerns could have been sorted out first.

Kezzab
If i actually turn it into a scape it'll be in a 15ltr tank that's a bit deeper front to back.

Is this what you are referring to that old tank is the mock tank? If so its put it into a good use again.

Kezzab

Great half way there the RH side is very good

For the LH side try removing the heavy piece leaving the lighter twiggy piece.

When that is done I "think" I have an ideal location for that heavy piece, only time will tell.

Hi Keith, on the LHS there are 3 main pieces. I've removed the one i think you mean in the pic below and also added a pic of the piece.

WP_20180605_08_01_16_Rich.jpg
WP_20180605_08_00_51_Rich.jpg

In the next pic I've added it back in but brought it closer to the front pane of glass. I think perhaps it gives more depth. I've also added a thick vertical piece in the far left corner. You perhaps had something different in mind?

WP_20180605_08_06_36_Rich.jpg

Cheers
K

Kezzab

Sorry to say it's not what I was thinking. At the moment its become very cluttered. There is one very basic rule in design work. More is less and less is more.
Looking at the RH side its open and certainly not cluttered with the thickest at the front and the finest at the back. Please remove all those small white stone as they are very distracting.

To save any more confusion I would like to see the LH corner empty. Then place each piece in thickness order all standing upright with no background interference. If you have any other pieces post a photo of them too please.

From that I should be able to get that LH corner to look very good and be in balance with the rest of the Aquascape. I often wish I could be with the poster and sort it out on the spot.

Ok, i took all the bits on left out, ordered them put them back in. I think this is the best i can get it with the pieces i have. It feels less cluttered now and more even. No doubt not perfect, but good enough for me i think.

WP_20180606_22_17_54_Rich (2).jpg

Kezzab

I certainly agree its far less cluttered now. Its very hard when you are working with a limited supply of hardscape materials.

The most important point now is as long as you are happy with what you have done.
wp_20180605_08_06_36_rich-jpg.jpg

In this photo you have those fine twiggy pieces at the back. I suggest you place a few back into that area but nowhere as many, that will help to give greater depth.

Back