• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Centrepiece Bucephalandra

ZeeDeveel

It's so difficult to tell with Buces which are the most beautiful due to all the photo-filters and coloured lighting that's used when photographing them. They all seem to have these iridescent sheen's which I'm just not convinced actually exist!

I've got a spot in my bowl which needs a beautiful epiphyte to be the centrepiece, so I'm thinking of a small, beautiful species of buce. Can anyone recommend a species which fits? Striking but Nano. I don't trust the pictures online, I need real info!

So far I'm liking the look of Kedagang. Seems relatively common and has what look to be iridescent spots - though I've not seen it in person so that might be BS and I'm not sure if it will stay small enough?

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 51HQB1epJ+L._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
    51HQB1epJ+L._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 306
I have non-CO2/low tech tanks and have buces - when you get the light right they really do have those lovely spots, and none of my lights are fancy. They all grow reliably and slowly for me. One of mine in particular is really pretty with a red rhizome - not sure which variety but will try to post a pic later if no one else gets there first. I do have kedagang but don’t know if it’s that one.

It's so difficult to tell with Buces which are the most beautiful due to all the photo-filters and coloured lighting that's used when photographing them. They all seem to have these iridescent sheen's which I'm just not convinced actually exist!

I've got a spot in my bowl which needs a beautiful epiphyte to be the centrepiece, so I'm thinking of a small, beautiful species of buce. Can anyone recommend a species which fits? Striking but Nano. I don't trust the pictures online, I need real info!

So far I'm liking the look of Kedagang. Seems relatively common and has what look to be iridescent spots - though I've not seen it in person so that might be BS and I'm not sure if it will stay small enough?

Thank you all!

Many Buces do have that iridescent sheen, its really is real lol . . . but I know what you mean, many of them are photographed under almost purple lights to boost their apparent colour.

Kedagang is a good option, with a nice leaf shape, good colour, and available in Tropica invitro 1-2 Grow pots giving a lot of plantlets for your money.

Tropica's image is a fair representation in normal lighting:

4.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I am really liking the look of it. I'm thinking it might be a bit big for my bowl. Going to be using Anubias nana petite, Kedagang looks like it's going to dominate the scape a bit much...

I use brownie helena lot, its in all 3 of my tanks with a nice brownish hue and a 'calmer' leaf shape.

I think lighting and angle of viewing are key for getting the fancy colours. You're just seeing the reflected light, so if there's little red or blue in your light source, you won't get much reflected back. I've got a cheap (think it was £30 new several years a go) RGB that is supposed to be chihiros all though the prices they go for now make me question that. Anyway viewing through the front glass you get some nice colours, mostly bronze and some blue metallic in the leaves but nothing like the images you see online. When doing a water change and looking directly down at the plants is when things get colourful.
My favourite is theia dark (at least that's what I believe it's called).
Polish_20210723_155225958.jpg

It gets addictive! 😂
I found a post from 2017 of a seller that had pink martini. When I googled the name of the shop it turned out the shop was only an hour away. So I went to the shop to see if they had any nice buce or could get it back in. However, the name of the shop has no space in it, whereas the post on Facebook did. I'd gone to a shop in the UK with a similar name to a shop somewhere in Asia 😂
Amazingly a few months later I found a seller in Italy that was willing to ship it, so finally managed to get it. I'm hoping to grow it out and distribute it as it's a beautiful plant. Currently still transitioning to immersed growth.
Polish_20211031_193636809.jpg

I could be wrong and am happy to be corrected but I've always assumed that the blue (which I see on buce in my low techs) was down to maximising light. There is quite a famous blue begonia that looks very blue under the right light conditions and I've assumed it's a similar mechanism. If you have a look here

and read from " about begonia pavoninia" it explains more. In the likely event I'm wrong it's still an interesting read.

I found a post from 2017 of a seller that had pink martini. When I googled the name of the shop it turned out the shop was only an hour away. So I went to the shop to see if they had any nice buce or could get it back in. However, the name of the shop has no space in it, whereas the post on Facebook did. I'd gone to a shop in the UK with a similar name to a shop somewhere in Asia 😂
Amazingly a few months later I found a seller in Italy that was willing to ship it, so finally managed to get it. I'm hoping to grow it out and distribute it as it's a beautiful plant. Currently still transitioning to immersed growth.
View attachment 179891
is this from anggladc-0 on ebay? if so please tell me about how it all went. was considering buying a couple plants, but don't want to spend a couple hundred pounds and have some disentegrated plant mush at my door😂

This is Theia red according to the webshop where I bought it. The leaves are nice and shiny, especially the new leaves which are kind of light red with green edges. The photo does not really capture it well.

I don’t know Kedagang mini. What is sold under one name in one shop sometimes looks like what is sold under another name in another shop. So it could be a gamble.

Attachments

• 8EE48298-2862-41F5-B8F4-B839E2F66200.jpeg
    8EE48298-2862-41F5-B8F4-B839E2F66200.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 135
is this from anggladc-0 on ebay? if so please tell me about how it all went. was considering buying a couple plants, but don't want to spend a couple hundred pounds and have some disentegrated plant mush at my door😂
Can't fault the service and communication.I didn't see the express delivery option until after it had been despatched so it was sent standard and unfortunately got delayed twice (I think 10 days in total). The plant was sealed in a bubble pouch, inside a cardboard, surrounded by so many layers of kitchen roll and tinfoil I thought it had come from Pablo Escobar!
I've been tempted to order more plants from him but with the new 2022 Brexit regs I'm a little cautious. Let me know how you get on if you do. I started a thread about buying from the EU a little while ago.

I think lighting and angle of viewing are key for getting the fancy colours. You're just seeing the reflected light, so if there's little red or blue in your light source, you won't get much reflected back. I've got a cheap (think it was £30 new several years a go) RGB that is supposed to be chihiros all though the prices they go for now make me question that. Anyway viewing through the front glass you get some nice colours, mostly bronze and some blue metallic in the leaves but nothing like the images you see online. When doing a water change and looking directly down at the plants is when things get colourful.
My favourite is theia dark (at least that's what I believe it's called).
View attachment 179881
Yes, this is Theia Dark!

Thank you all!
Hi
Theia Dark is a nice compact Buce as in the image although it can get larger if left to do its thing!
It can be trimmed of leaves that are getting too large....this will keep it compact!
Under low light or underneath a Canopy of other plants it will also stay compact!
hoggie

Back