• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NACD Nature Aquarium

Folk are often too quick to attribute cause and effect where there isn't any...

Algae issues are usually caused by other factors such as organic build up often due to poor maintenance lack of water changes dirty filter etc, light intensity that is too high and/or a photoperiod that is too long, unstable or inadequate CO2 implementation flow and distribution, and inadequate fertz regimen.

I've lived in areas where the water quality is categorised as hard (200-300 CaCO3 mg/l), including Nottingham, and have had no problem whatsoever growing healthy aquatic plants free of algae..
Like Iain mentions, AG's water is categorised as very hard (>300 CaCO3 mg/l). You just need to take a look at the scapes in their showroom to realise water hardness doesn't really matter to plants, fish, shrimp or algae.

+1 What lian says I would imagine 80%of people in the UK use tap water and still manage to grow beautiful tanks and control alge

Thanks for all your input guys.

I'm aware Aquarium Gardens, George Farmer and all the rest of us aquascapers have success using purely tap water. I will still give RO a go, it's a learning process after all!

The RO unit will be good piece of equipment to have where I can gain better understanding water parameters and how they effect certain types of fauna and flora.

I'll start with a top up tonight with RO and slowly introduce more RO water in water changes so as not to shock the inhabitants and plants.

Ill keep you guys updated, it may help my situation it may not but it's worth a try!

Georges famous words; 'Keep on scaping'.

Cheers,
Ra

Using the ro you will.never really understand what your issue was before it lf it even changes the issue or corrects it not much of a learning curve

Thanks for all your input guys.

I'm aware Aquarium Gardens, George Farmer and all the rest of us aquascapers have success using purely tap water. I will still give RO a go, it's a learning process after all!

The RO unit will be good piece of equipment to have where I can gain better understanding water parameters and how they effect certain types of fauna and flora.

I'll start with a top up tonight with RO and slowly introduce more RO water in water changes so as not to shock the inhabitants and plants.

Ill keep you guys updated, it may help my situation it may not but it's worth a try!

Georges famous words; 'Keep on scaping'.

Cheers,
Ra
If nothing else the RO unit you have purchased will be beneficial for top ups and help maintain a steady tds.

I hope you didn't feel I was being negative, just wanted to add to what was being discussed and offering an alternative opinion.

There is certainly no harm in using Ro cut water or remineralised, in fairness when my big tanks were co2 driven I also remineralised RO simply because I hated the calcium lines around the tank after evaporation.
I point was really to say that any issues you suffer are likely due to co2, light or ferts and in that order... when folks chase water params, ph, tds, temp etc it generally a far longer process to a solution but people do this as it can be measured and feel they understand it better and can place blame. The successful use of co2, light and ferts is often a game of experience and instinct from that experience.. your tank looks great anyway and would guess you'll soon sort any minor issues you have have.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If nothing else the RO unit you have purchased will be beneficial for top ups and help maintain a steady tds.

I hope you didn't feel I was being negative, just wanted to add to what was being discussed and offering an alternative opinion.

There is certainly no harm in using Ro cut water or remineralised, in fairness when my big tanks were co2 driven I also remineralised RO simply because I hated the calcium lines around the tank after evaporation.
I point was really to say that any issues you suffer are likely due to co2, light or ferts and in that order... when folks chase water params, ph, tds, temp etc it generally a far longer process to a solution but people do this as it can be measured and feel they understand it better and can place blame. The successful use of co2, light and ferts is often a game of experience and instinct from that experience.. your tank looks great anyway and would guess you'll soon sort any minor issues you have have.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Iain,

Thankyou for the kind comments, it's great to know that you didn't mean to be negative, I just felt the comments from yourself and others were an attack on my inexperience haha! Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate criticism as it helps us aquscapers realise what is going wrong and how to correct it. The comments made before have indeed helped my understanding though, like you say, using RO will help me achieve a steady TDS.

I think I've got the light, CO2 and ferts just about right. Growth seems to be increasing and the plants look generally healthier with less algae :) One day that instinct will be natural and I'll know what the roots cause the problem is. I aspire to be as successful as yourself and others at creating wonderful aqauscapes.

The tank is looking better day by day thanks to all your guys input and help.

As always the input from you guys is always appreciated. Here's a before and after, just after planting and a FTS taken today. 9 weeks progress.

9808761ad073d6fd028301dad410639f.jpg

TDS is currently reading 350ppm after a 50% water change with 50/50 RO/tap. Aiming for around 150ppm after a couple weeks worth of water changes and we'll see how the tank reacts :)

P.S any tips for trimming Lilaeopsis? When to trim? How far down the leaf to trim? Thanks!

Cheers guys!
Ra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e6c58fca856796fc25da76d4e73f6276.jpg

Updated FTS!

Lots of trimming has been done. Hygrophila Pinniftida growing well. Started dosing Seachem Iron a few weeks back. New growth looks better! Still keeping on top of 50/50 RO/Tap water changes.

Now the tank has matured I need to start experimenting and solve the aquascapers dream to achieve super healthy plant growth. I have thoughts of increasing the light co2 and ferts but I'm worried about too much algae. As the tank stands at the moment there is still the odd bit of hair algae and staghorn but no way near as much as a month ago. Things have definitely improved.. Hmm lots to think about!

Cheers guys,
Raquascape

The scape went through a period of neglect recently, been doing lots of overtime at work. Had to deal with a staghorn algae problem due to fluctuating CO2 levels. After a big trim of all the algae ridden plants and maintenance yesterday here's how she looks!

f640e2e9296551bc35321856dad8b1ad.jpg

Looking really nice. Can’t see any algae from here! Do you do anything to keep the rocks clean? T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking really nice. Can’t see any algae from here! Do you do anything to keep the rocks clean? T

Welcome T,

There is some algae, I suppose I'm just picky haha! I don't clean the rocks at all, the otocinclus I have in there do a great job at keeping them clean :)

Raquascape

The hole in the bottom middle will look fantastic when its grown in and give the viewer a real aspect of depth and leave them wondering what's in there and where does it go. Brilliantly done or I might have given you an idea :thumbup:.
Somthing like a stu worrall composition is what I mean, have a look I did not want to link as hes on here and may not appreciate.
Anyway carry on what your doing as it's working out well.

The hole in the bottom middle will look fantastic when its grown in and give the viewer a real aspect of depth and leave them wondering what's in there and where does it go. Brilliantly done or I might have given you an idea :thumbup:.
Somthing like a stu worrall composition is what I mean, have a look I did not want to link as hes on here and may not appreciate.
Anyway carry on what your doing as it's working out well.

Cheers!

The valley in the middle was planned! It does create a nice sense of depth, probably my most favourite part of the scape :) Its great to watch the rummys swim out from there when they know I'm near by, begging for food haha!

I've seen Stu's work, unreal. I can only dream to achieve scapes like his! I know what you mean though, he has one scape where a Manzanita branch bridge goes over a path, looks ace.

I'll keep on top of it. Slacked recently! I want more red in the tank but I have no idea what plant to use or where hmm!

Ra

Back