• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NA style 45f

LouisGenin

I recently rescaped by shallow 45cm aquarium and thought I would it be useful to document it here.

Hardware
Dolaqua 45f (45x24x16)
Oase filtosmart 60
Chihiros A451 plus
Co2 art pro SE

Plants
Microsorum pteropus narrow
Anubias petite
Bucephelandra
Eleocharis mini
Staurogyne repens
Hygrophila lancea 'araguaia'
Cryptocoryne petchi
Cryptocoryne undulatus red
Java moss

5c0724284223e5829d2d0f1174f53368.jpg

I added a fresh layer of aquasoil to the old soil so at the moment I'm doing daily water changes. The bucephalandra leaves have started to go a bit translucent, hoping this will stop before they melt completely. Could it be the ammonia from the new soil? Plants seem to be doing ok though generally.

Thinking of moving the java fern on the right more towards the left/heavy point of the wood/scape as it looks a little out of place to me. Trying to imagine it when the plants grow out. What do you guys think?

855d8e413da71ab1c937f4d0a8578f10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
20210914_182918.jpg

20210914_183636.jpg

20210914_183401.jpg

3 month update
I thought I would post a quick update to show people how this aquarium has progressed over the last three months. Overall this tank has done very well and the plants have grown in nicely.

I added some hygrophila pinnatifida later on. I love this plant and have been encouraging some it to grow out the top which it is doing, albeit very reluctantly. I've also been trimming it heavily to create tiny little compact bushes nearer the sand.

I switched to EI fertilisation after about 6 weeks. After this I noticed green algae growing on the glass much more quickly but this has reduced over time and the plant health seems better, the java fern especially (no soil to get nutrients from I guess). I still get a little BBA and a kind of hair type algae in the moss but I think this is CO2 related and it isn't serious. I'm guessing the small water volume (probably around 10l with hardscape and soil) makes it hard to get CO2 dialled in just right. Because the volume is so low it's easy enough to use RO water remineralised to around 150-200 and water changes are a doddle. It was quite easy to change water daily for the first 6 weeks. Now I find that weekly water changes are plenty and sometimes it goes more than that. I haven't added any fish though as the size is small and it saves me from using a heater. Just got some amano shrimp and cherry shrimp.

Recently I swapped out the background crypts for some ludwigia palustris which is slowly transitioning to its emersed growth. I'm hoping it will fill in the back behind the pinnatifida eventually. The crypts just weren't really visible so not a great choice from the outset.

I'm going to be going back to uni and leaving this tank to run itself with a little maintenance by my mum so I thought I'd take some pictures before it inevitably goes down hill! We will see...

Back