• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mystery mini purple plant ID

Tamicus

01267877-D537-4A8D-AF11-930336FC69D8.jpeg

Mystery Hitchhiker plant in my low tech nano tank. Any ideas on ID would be appreciated. Shrimps for scale!

Seems to grow quite happily on wood, doesn’t appear to have any significant root structure. Also the newer leaves grow from tips of the older ones and makes a netlike growth form. I think it arrived with some Bucephalandra I imported from Spain pre-Brexit.

caloglossa-cf-beccarii-5152a6900e19f.jpg

caloglossa-cf-beccarii-5152a6900e19f.jpg
That’s got to be it! Excellent detective work mate, thanks a lot.

Like Darel says; Caloglossa cf. beccarii........can be coloured anything from grayish-green to intense purple.
- it will be a true PITA if it desides to like the environment........attach quite strong to anything and spread allmost by thought only...........consider yourself WARNED :twisted::drowning::nailbiting:

I kept taking out what I've seen all the time, took some years to not obviously see it growing anymore... No idea if I still have it, if it's still in there it's significantly less. Didn't inspect the tank in the dark coners again for quite a while... But it really does grow in the darkest spots you can imagine.

I really like it too, if you can send me your address I will try to post you a bit. 👍
Thanks very much, PM sent! Funny how in some tanks it's all about eradicating algae, and in others it's all about growing it. My lowtech already has some tough algae in it that I can't be bothered to get rid of living with the moss, so why not add another that's much prettier with no worries! :p

Weren’t you trying to grow this @MirandaB ?

Back