• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My vivarium (pic heavy)

Gh0st

I already posted some pics of my viv in a other thread, but i've got a lot more pics to share.
the viv is 100cm high 80cm width and 60cm deep these pics are from the period i got the tank (end 2008) till today
happy vieweing :)

this is how i bought the viv (second hand, made by a belgium shop)

my doughter in front to show the size :)
DSC03559.jpg

initial setup (notice the P. helferi, grows well emersed)
PICT0037Medium.jpg

PICT0039Medium.jpg

added some more plants, but wasn't happy with the way it looked yet
DSC03760.jpg

bought a plant (Callisia fragrans) from ebay from portugal, a hanging basket plant which does great in a viv
DSC03813.jpg

getting greener and greener
DSC03588.jpg

one of the frogs
E. tricolor (we called him Highway)
DSC03600.jpg

offspring from highway
DSC04041.jpg

added some coushin? moss, looked great at the beginning, but couldn't stand the high humidity and got brown
DSC03734.jpg

one of my leucomelas
DSC03728.jpg

removed the moss and created a bit larger waterarea
DSC04672.jpg

a aquatic plant that is adapting to emerse growth
DSC04676.jpg

getting greener
DSC04753.jpg

this is how it looks like today
22012010089.jpg

22012010074.jpg

22012010072.jpg

19012010052.jpg

video of the tank in the early days

the tank a few weeks ago

tnx for watching :) any questions? please ask :)

Thats fantastic!
Terrariums and vivariums used to be very popular in the uk about 30 years ago, with most garden centres selling equipment. Doesnt seem the case now though. As a child I remember spending many hours in a garden centre called Rochfords in Hertfordshire, they had a huge greenhouse set up as a giant terrarium, tropical trees, ponds streams, all the plants you could wish for. All gone now though. Its a housing estate now. Pity.
Thanks for showing us your work.

Hi all,
Magnificent vivarium, really inspiring, and your frogs obviously like it as well. With apologies as it is not my thread, but the dangling plant looks like it might be Ficus repens, and the Bromeliad is possibly a Tillandsia sp. as a lot of these have thin leaves.

Rochfords was the first UK nursery to go into house plants in a big way, it was a shame that competition from Holland (where they had subsidised heating) and air freighted plants from Singapore etc did for them, and all the rest of the Lea valley nurseries.

http://www.theleevalley.co.uk/category/programme

cheers Darrel

That is a real beaut.

Dave.

Great pictures Mark...

I would love one of these, and so would the girlfriend...

Ive just spent the last hour looking for paladariums for sale. The same type as what you showed us when we were in Holland with you. Can you link some suppliers? All the paladariums over here are not paladariums, there vivariums, which look rubbish and arnt suitable.

Nice post.

Yeah, me too. It's actually amazing. It's made me massively crave a frog viv. I have to avoid Tbro's posts otherwise I find my self scaping wabi kusa's.

i also made a wabi kusa because i read the wabi kusa thread :) will show pics of that in the wabi kusa thread

:woot:
:clap:

That's fantastic! Could you remind me of the planting? Specifically the small leaved plants around the right and top of the viv :) Congrats on your competition win too! I'm really not surprised, it's an amazing setup.

Hi all,
It is a lovely Viv. I'll jump in as I can do a few of the plants, the small leaved plant is Ficus pumila, the silver leaved Gesnerid is an Episcia cupreata hybrid. The Bromeliad is a Tillandsia, there is also a Scindapsus and an Anthurium. The Fern near the top is a Nephrolepis (cordifolia)?

cheers Darrel

Back