• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Singapore adventures

AnhBui

It has been almost 9 years since my last visit to Singapore. Several weeks ago I made my decision to go to Singapore for a business trip in a couple of days. My plan was very clear. It is for business and friend visits. I made an appointment with Jacky Chun. We would hang out after work hours

Singapore welcomed me with its most beautiful weather ever. Despite how nicely weather was, this country shocked me at the very first moment I walked out Changi airport. It has changed dramatically. 9 years ago smart phone was at its dawn, and had less apps. But now I could see smart phone, tablets everywhere. People were walking with their phone, headsets on, opening app... It seemed like I was in a giant factory with millions of robot. I was nervous

As plan I met Jacky at Kembangan MRT station after work hours in my third day. Although we connect on social network and exchange message frequently, but this is the first time we met face to face. And thanks to social network we both found out his wife and my wife were high school classmate. The destination Jacky suggested was Fishy Business Elements. It was only few minute walk from Kembangan MRT station. Because it was our both first time visit Fishy Business' new place, Jacky occasionally checked his phone to make sure we were on the right track. The closer I was to Fishy Business, the more excited I felt

It is located at Level 3 96C Jalan Senang. This building is belong to Goh family. Roger Goh, IAPLC 2016 rank 11, is founder of Fishy Business

A picture of me right below its sign board
34940530143_822a5e609e_b.jpg

We walked inside and saw many umbrellas (later Roger told us this is his family business), then reached to the elevator. It slowly took us up to 3rd level, and voila, right in front of us, a big green tank, with no photo sign board, was under maintenance. We all knew this is Roger's IAPLC 2017, and later he confirmed it. This is amazing tank, a combination of great hardscape technic and plant selection. If you want to see it either you can come visit now or wait until October

Roger has many items for you to choose. Jacky and I took a quick item check before being greeted by him
And this is how it looks (I asked for permission before taking these lol)
35362614320_6157fa5ff9_b.jpg

34940530413_4b62069b6d_b.jpg

35750146505_2c6aec8557_b.jpg

35618805681_2f34cc4053_b.jpg

34940530673_6d5cee3457_b.jpg

35750147855_4e8e85cb97_b.jpg

Roger and his newly setup marine tank

34908898674_d52623d4ba_b.jpg

34940531343_e3b918d66d_b.jpg

Roger was friendly, open. He shared with us everything about his shop, his plan to setup a gallery with different tank sizes. The longer we talked the more I could see his passion, and his goal to promote this hobby to Singapore. We took pictures with him to capture this moment. A moment that there is no boundary, it's only for passion, creativeness and most of all for this hobby

34908898394_033b580a7a_b.jpg

Next destination: Jacky Chun apartment

Last edited:
It has been almost 9 years since my last visit to Singapore. Several weeks ago I made my decision to go to Singapore for a business trip in a couple of days. My plan was very clear. It is for business and friend visits. I made an appointment with Jacky Chun. We would hang out after work hours

Singapore welcomed me with its most beautiful weather ever. Despite how nicely weather was, this country shocked me at the very first moment I walked out Changi airport. It has changed dramatically. 9 years ago smart phone was at its dawn, and had less apps. But now I could see smart phone, tablets everywhere. People were walking with their phone, headsets on, opening app... It seemed like I was in a giant factory with millions of robot. I was nervous

As plan I met Jacky at Kembangan MRT station after work hours in my third day. Although we connect on social network and exchange message frequently, but this is the first time we met face to face. And thanks to social network we both found out his wife and my wife were high school classmate. The destination Jacky suggested was Fishy Business Element. It was only few minutes walk from Kembangan MRT station. Because it was our both first time visit Fishy Business' new place, Jacky occasionally checked his phone to make sure we were on the right track. The closer I was to Fishy Business, the more excited I felt

It is located at Level 3 96C Jalan Senang. This building is belong to Goh family. Roger Goh, IAPLC 2016 rank 11, is founder of Fishy Business

A picture of me right below its sign board
34940530143_822a5e609e_b.jpg

We walked inside and saw many umbrellas (later Roger told us this is his family business), then reached to the elevator. It slowly took us up to 3rd level, and voila, right in front of us, a big green tank, with no photo sign board, was under maintenance. We all knew this is Roger's IAPLC 2017, and later he confirmed it. This is amazing tank, a combination of great hardscape technic and plant selection. If you want to see it either you can come visit now or wait until October

Roger has many items for you to choose. Jacky and I took a quick item check before being greeted by him
And this is how it looks (I asked for permission before taking these lol)
35362614320_6157fa5ff9_b.jpg

34940530413_4b62069b6d_b.jpg

35750146505_2c6aec8557_b.jpg

35618805681_2f34cc4053_b.jpg

34940530673_6d5cee3457_b.jpg

35750147855_4e8e85cb97_b.jpg

Roger and his newly setup marine tank

34908898674_d52623d4ba_b.jpg

34940531343_e3b918d66d_b.jpg

Roger was friendly, open. He shared with us everything about his shop, his plan to setup a gallery with different tank sizes. The longer we talked the more I could see his passion, and his goal to promote this hobby to Singapore. We took pictures with him to capture this moment. A moment that there is no boundary, it's only for passion, creativeness and most of all for this hobby

34908898394_033b580a7a_b.jpg

Next destination: Jacky Chun apartment

Very nice write up, bro!

Can't wait to see the next destination. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We left Fishy Business with stuff in our hand and headed back to MRT station. Caught several trains and more few minute walk, I was at his apartment door. It's a typical Singapore apartment with three bedrooms, two bathrooms and a living room. You could tell exactly this is a place of a hobbyist. Along the way to his door you see lots of plant, a small sandbox for experiments and a glass covered plastic box of ermersed grow. Enter the living room, on the right hand, next to a TV, is his main tank.

Main tank
81a265f56668ae1869f4111778661c5f.jpg

f30c8b2ada1ac395bc49b20a3b3de040.jpg

e23f5a85660a7d043253050c57485557.jpg

Sat and stared at it, then he led me to his working desk. There are two nano tanks on it

6e25134944814d0eeda81c1d5a583acc.jpg

3aa03c6b62f369ce076707006485b3ae.jpg

The bigger tank looks healthy and matured, the smaller one has some issues with plant optimal. Jacky explained that he is doing experiments and wanting to know his plants under different conditions

7ca91ff5a32b5d90943f957a4a837edf.jpg

9f16d60e404906c87d3a7a3c57ca6f2a.jpg

I am not going to tell you details of what we talked. But basically it was all about plants, fauna, what he has been doing for his tanks

Clock was ticking and it's time for me to return. A Happy me said goodbye to the family. The excitement in me was too large, it overwhelmed everything, I even forgot my stuff. Poor Jacky had to chase me at the station and handed it over. We said goodbye one more time, and with an appointment in July that we will meet again in Hanoi. That'll be his Hanoi tour! Definitely it will be

Aloha, it’s time for another adventure in Singapore.

Come back after two years, have witnessed the high ranking achievement in international contests of local hobbyists , as well as the appointment with Jacky for another tour, so excited I land on this country

This is also my family vacation. So I have permission to use half day for touring with Jacky before come back to his house for dinner and high-school-class-mate reunion after 15 years.

Due to limit of time we don’t take MRT but instead buses and Grab.

First destination is Aqua Avenue. Unfortunately they are now refreshing their shop for new look so I don’t have much chance to video their fancy tanks or . Luckily there is one aquarium, which is maintained by Dennis Wong. If you are not familiar with his name, check out his channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/xiaozhuangw

And his blog

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com

Few bus stops we arrive Home Aquarium Design. This shop is slightly bigger than Aquatic Avenue and they are also selling Oase products.

We buy some plants there, grab a car and move to Green Chapter. And again they are also refreshing their store. But I am still able to video their fancy products and have fun chat with Ronnie, technical master.

Now it’s time for meeting Dennis. No word in this world can describe how valuable this time we spend there. We learn some cool tricks from him, share some acquaintances as well. Leave his house with one thought in my mind. This hobby has no boundaries and it can bring you more friends and knowledges than you have ever imagined.

And last but not least my videos

Refreshing moment at Jacky’s house

And have great weekend ukaps

Last edited:
Back