• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Shrimp tank!

Right then, I have not had an update for a long time! I have got all the stuff from The Green Machine, I could not be more pleased with their service, it was great! I have now put it all together, there are a load of pictures below. I have used the wood which I love, although it is too thin really to grow much off it, but I think that if I just plant some stem's around it, it will look great! I have also got the Dragon Stone, but it is much much to big, so I wanted to know if any one has tried breaking this up? How do you do it?
I am really sorry about the pictures, they are aweful, I had to use my phone, they have all been edited, to show you the subject, that is why they look so strange!
IMG00134-20101009-1809.jpg

IMG00137-20101009-1814-1.jpg

IMG00138-20101009-1814.jpg

IMG00139-20101009-1815.jpg

IMG00140-20101009-1822.jpg

IMG00141-20101009-1951.jpg

As you can see, I have got a slight slope towards the front. I used the Oliver knott way of filling uo your tank, with scrunched up newspaper, and a combination of that and the ADA meant that the water was pretty clear!

Ug is as good as impossible from my experience. I'd try it but don't be disheartened if it doesn't work out, there's only so much you can do for it.

That is what I have been told by most people, and everyone has said about it not likeing frtile substrates, etc. But this technique seems perfect for it, if you read the thread linked above, you will see that it actually is just put in a pot of pond water, and left on a window sill, so very easy! Then I will take little bit's and introuduce them into the tank, until I can get it right! Finger's crossed it will work!

Ok then well I am being a little bit more adventurous and have made a new list of plant's, what do you think?
Hygrophila Pinnatifida,
Vallissneria Bubra
Laceleaf
Echinodorus 'VesuVius'
Ludwigia Mullerti Suberse
Hemianthus MIcranthemoides
Microsortum pteropus 'windelov'
Utricula graminifolia ( I will grow in a pot, which seems quite easy to do, I have seen several posts about it, and then try introuducing little bit's into the aquarium, that way if it goes wrong I can try again!)
abd for the HMF:
taiwan moss
tentacle moss
fontinalis sp. 'Japan'
vesicularia sp. 'nan bei'
Can anyone see any problems with that?

It's my experience that fertilizer levels, hardness etc won't really change that much within the tank without major interventions, replacing the substrate, ro water that kind of thing. The best results I've seen have been when it's been grown out in the substrate first then flooded but that's not practical in this application, as pretty a plant it is it definitely deserves it's very difficult reputation.

I did a small experiment on my tank, I timed how long it took for my filter to fill up a 2 liter bottle( just moved the outlet pipes, so should be pretty accurate), I worked out I was only getting 70lph which I was annoyed about, as it is supposed to be a 700lph :woot: although I do have a lot of media for it to use, I then made a few ajustment's, and modification's, mainly more effective connection between the pump and the outlet pipes, and tested it again, and now I am getting 266lph, which I am pleased with, it is a little high, but when the tank is filled with plants it will become less agitated in the water column.

Very nice pal, I'm really starting to come round to the idea of that filter, you've done a nice neat job of it. That root looks great too, I agree it could be a little thin for moss, unless you got hold of some of the smaller varieties that are about.

Keep it up mate.

Thanks, I am quite pleased with the filter although it is a bit of a pain, it takes up a lot of room, but once I can grow some moss on it then it will look fine! Thanks for the comments!

Looking good, i've just about finished setting up my new shrimp tank too...oooh what shrimpies to buy!

Right then, the first sign of plant life! I have got a load of moss for the foam! Thank God, it looks hideous! I am also making some tweaks to the filter, so I can get it working to its optimum! Pics to follow soon! O and I have some snails which have appeared from my last tank!

First I have sewn up all the holes in the foam, and I have trimmed it, so it is not the full height of the tank. I have also cut a small stip at the bottom which means I can take out the main piece of foam with out all the substrate falling in! I have also put the biological media in a media bag, so it is all contained, and it also has made the filter much more quiet.
DSC00885.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

and after an hour!
DSC00890.jpg

update?

right, at last I have got some updates for you all! It is really taking off! a few slight internal tweaks to the filter, now it is running almost silently! and also have bought a few plants from tropica, and planted it up a little, only to get me started, so I still need to wait for it to all kick off! I am now looking to source a co2 kit, and then in a few months when the plants have filled in a bit, maybe a little earlier, a few shrimp. Any way, here are some pic's. !!!
DSC00895.jpg

Back