• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my pygmy puffer tank

tim

was asked by a member on here for some pics so here goes
8457905845_6824feefc1.jpg

its nothing original, emmersed planters added about a month ago with a very cheap half dead lily from homebase.
little guys are very shy,but awsome little fish IMO
8459035432_3d1dfe3c1c.jpg

8457489231_6524a7c870.jpg

the tank is slowly evolving to the sort of look i want for it,i will add some tillandsia to the wood out of the aquarium eventually.
8455406695_7e8ee6d603.jpg

cheers for looking :)

That's a neat little scape that Tim, very natural, well done!

Nice colours on the puffers as well.

Reactions: tim
Love this mate, nice one! You planning on getting some more species to grow emersed?

I've fancied trying it with a bonsai, obviously with modifications. Maybe some 'wicks' hanging from the basket, pulling a little water up rather than being sat in it could work?

thanks for sticking these up for me mate :) its great to see :) people can see what you have achieved too. you said it was just a basic tank! its cool man! i love it. the lighting is awesome. do you worry about your puffers jumping out the water?

cool thats interesting, im thinking about just sticking a sheet of perspex or glass over the top anyway just to be safe. I have read in PFK that they are very sensitive to water parameters? would you agree?

yeah I did think PFK were maybe speaking about all dwarf puffers on a whole. I read there were four types of dwarf.. what are yours? sorry for the bombardment of questions!

They could mean as in mature tank mate not sure of the Latin name of mine just labeled Pygmy puffers in the lfs I've had them maybe two years now bought 7 originally and lost 3 in the first 6 months maybe due to water issues or fighting, was fairly clueless back then and just took advice from my lfs, then I discovered this fine forum :)

Indeed Mate, I'll dig out the months issue and page number and scan it in. There are some beautiful but more aggressive red and black dwarfs too. But I'm falling for the standard type like yours. I do of course want them to be happy :) how are they with lighting? I have read that they become shy and hide if lighting is to bright? Causes stress etc?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Very cool setup

I am just starting a new tank for my Dwarf Puffers (hence joining the forum) which I have housed in a 45L Arcadia for the last 3 years, now moving to a 190L Trigon.

Do you keep anything else in with them? I know its a classic DP debate....I have had Ottos, Rasbora's and Amano Shrimp in with mine no issues at all. Only fights I ever have are between the puffers and nothing fatal (though the odd puff up!) great little fish to have and I really don't have a snail problem, I introduce snails on a regular basis and the little bugger do not stop hunting until everyone is dead!

Always wanted to do a puffer setup. How many you got in there?

What do you feed them?

Tanks looks great

In my case I have 3 and try eat frozen blood worms and snails.

I would highly recommend them though they are a little messy.

When people refer to puffers as messy, do they mean agressive towards the hardscape? i.e ripping up plants, disturbing gravels and soils, or do they mean with foods and feces?

Thanks guys :)
@ occean only thing in the tank with them is an otto I had 3 on setup and lost two but I'm reluctant to move him now, I kept cherry shrimp with them which went well until I had a tank accident and had to move some Taiwan bee shrimp in there which the puffers hunted down over a couple of days then started on the cherries :(
@ andy, thanks for the comments, I have 4 in there, 48ltr tank but big footprint 40x40 which has given them space get the odd squabble at feeding time, I feed them plenty of little ramshorn snails bloodworm and blackworm which they seem to like, my lfs has fresh live food every Friday and its only a 5 minute walk :)
@ jack, messy as in dirty little poop machines due to their protein only diet, this tank is over filtered and twice weekly water changes and lots of plants to help with the waste.
I will say amazing little fish to keep definately worth the effort IMO :)
Cheers for looking

Food and feces. Generally the will only eat food that is floating, as soon as it hits the floor they are not interested. And with snails, though I haven't had this problem, they will peck at a snail that is as big as themselves until it dies, which is obviously too big too eat and can go rotten.

@tim that sounds the same as the issue I had with my shrimp. They totally ignore Amano's but the second I put some cherrys in, gone in 5 mins flat - the quickest £20 ever. And yes I did feed them first etc.

Back