• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My planted aquarium journey

PeterBD

I am about to embark on my first planted tank. I have kept fish in various ways for over 30 years but never with real plants. My current tank is an African Cichlid tank which I am in the process of shutting down. I will also be changing my tank as I can't change the light on my current tank. I don’t want an open top tank so I am going for a Seabray tank. The tank will be a 4' x 1.5' x 2' (about 340 litres) and will have a closed hood. I will be fitting a Fluval Plant 3.0 light, hopefully the 59W version.

Filtration will be by two Fluval 407 external filters

I will have two 300W JBL heaters controlled by an Inkbird temperature controller.

I am not planning on using CO2 at least to start with.

My inspiration for the intended aquascape is from the Takashi Amano tank forests underwater, in the sense that I like the idea of separate islands of planted areas separated by a pure clean sand substrate. Something like below. I am certainly no aquascaping expert but I will give it a good go!

Aquascape plan.jpg

The plants I am planning are Anubias and Bucephalandra on the rocks and wood and some java moss on the wood. In the two island areas on the corners I will have a mix of reds and greens with a combination of Rotala Rotundifolia, Rotala H'ra, Rotala Bonsai, Ludwigia Palustrus Super Red, Limnophila Sessiliflora and Tiger Lotus. I have a few other on my list if I have room and fancy more variety or if some of those mentioned don’t do well.

In terms of livestock I initially thought I would like mainly rainbowfish, and I haven't totally discounted that, but at the moment I am thinking of less rainbowfish with the following mix:

5 banded Barb (x12)
Denison Barb (x3)
Rainbow Shiner (x12)
Wapoga Rainbowfish (x6)
Sterbai Corydoras (x 6)
Otocinclus (x5)
Siamese algae eaters (x5)
Cherry shrimp
Snails - ramshorn?

My plan is to go for a dark start method. I want to set up the hardscape and add the aqua soil and sand then run the tank for about a month with no plants or livestock and the lights off. I will then plant the tank and run it for a week before starting to add the livestock.

I think this is going to be slow progress but I will post updates when I can.

I re-homed the fish from my current tank yesterday. Just need to sell the tank then I can order the new tank and start my new setup.

Unfortunately my plans are on hold for a bit as life happened!

Apart from struggling to sell my current aquarium, we have just lost our two Border Collies just over a month apart. We loved them dearly and it has been very hard. We are getting a new puppy but all our focus has been on that.

Hopefully, I will get some renewed energy for this project and hope to make some progress in the next 2 or 3 months.

So... I have managed to get going again.

I have collected together all the stuff I need and I have just ordered a Fluval Siena 330 which I will hopefully get in the next week or 2. I didn't go for the Seabray in the end. Maybe I can then start posting some pictures! I just need to remember to take photos as I progress.

No doubt I will mess about with the aquascape for a week or so until I am happy. I plan to do a dark start of sorts. There will be some natural light but hopefully the filters will have matured sufficiently by the time I do most of the planting.

Hopefully I can keep this thread up to date and with any luck there will be some progress over the next few months.

Back