• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new tank

gliebig

Seedling
I just set up this low-tech tank last week. Few plants having difficulty adjusting and this odd algae on my driftwood.
1. Is this algae just due to being a brand new tank?
2. Are my lights sufficient? Amazon product ASIN B01KYELCLC
Tank pics.
fulltank1.jpeg
Alg2.jpeg
alg1.jpeg

Hi and welcome to UKAPS,
I usually let the others answer the questions but seeing as no one has, here's my 2c.
Mold on wood is a common occurrence when first submerged and will subside with time. If it becomes too thick just syphon it off during water changes which you should be doing fairly regularly at this stage. Apparently CUC like to eat it but it has always disappeared for me before introducing livestock.
I'm no expert on lighting but would hazard a guess and say your unit is more than enough for a low tech and would keep it low in the initial stages slowly ramping up over time as your tank matures. or you may find yourself fighting a battle against algae. It's always difficult to judge from photographs but your tank appears to be awfully bright for a new set up.
Cheers!

Back