• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new Optiwhite (570L approx)

Nick....I planted the list above. Took a whole day alright. I went for a different approach with the Cuba. Rather than use it as a carpet I put it in the rocks and wood......

IMG_2214.jpg

Excellent. like it. Are you confident it will stay there? Are you relying on water dosing to feed the HC?

It may get better CO2 there.

Reckong this will look good without stems actually. Nice open spaces and a carpet of stauro will be great. Two thoughts:
1. the area top left has the potential to unbalance the scape - I would be tempted to put in a feature plant there, like an apo. crispus red (stunning by the way), or one of the coloured echi's.
2. The redmoor on the right is nice, but have you thought about a little bit of moss on the browner branch to the left?

Calzone said:
Excellent. like it. Are you confident it will stay there? Are you relying on water dosing to feed the HC?

Reckong this will look good without stems actually. Nice open spaces and a carpet of stauro will be great. Two thoughts:
1. the area top left has the potential to unbalance the scape - I would be tempted to put in a feature plant there, like an apo. crispus red (stunning by the way), or one of the coloured echi's.
2. The redmoor on the right is nice, but have you thought about a little bit of moss on the browner branch to the left?

I think the HC should stay there...they did this on their display tank in the Greenmachine. You leave the rock wool on and stuff it in very tightly into cracks/gaps.

The top left I reckon will be completely filled out by the Pogostemon Erectus that is there now.
I see what you mean about that bare branch....dont really want to go down the moss route as I had moss over run my last tank (maybe some Fissidens would be ok?)

mvasingh said:
What is your CO2 setup like?

Yeah Mike, Im using the UP atomizer fed from fire extinguisher for the first time, which I absolutely love. The mist is so fine I could barely see it and I thought it wasnt working. Cant recommend these enough!!! :thumbup:

I changed my spray bar from the origional Eheim green one (which is waaay too short) to Eheim installation set 2, but this was still a bit short so I bought some extensions for it. Its a grey colour which is a bit more pleasing to the eye!!!

Cheers, Dave.

Calzone said:
Hope you've booked a day off!! And remove all the rock wool especially from the cuba else you will be forever removing it from the chunks that end up floating on the surface......

Reckon this will be very nice once it grows in. No stems?

That is good advice ! I planted my cuba in the rockwool in small blobs (as shown on the tropica and TGM site I might add) and it was a pain in the butt.

curefan said:
Calzone said:

I think the HC should stay there...they did this on their display tank in the Greenmachine. You leave the rock wool on and stuff it in very tightly into cracks/gaps.

The top left I reckon will be completely filled out by the Pogostemon Erectus that is there now.
I see what you mean about that bare branch....dont really want to go down the moss route as I had moss over run my last tank (maybe some Fissidens would be ok?)

I think moss is ok as long as u stay away from java moss, but fissidens is very nice. My pogostemon erectus has mostly not made it largely because it is slow growing and has been eaten (by platiesmim guessing) faster than it grows.... Course it might be because its panted low down at the back and doesn't get enough co2, I don't know......

+1 for tank envy! Now my 300L looks normal and boring. Hope you have at least some soil in the holes where the HC is, as HC doesn't quite root to wood and stones well. And they need their roots in my experience.

curefan said:
This being my first open top tank, evaporation was driving me mad, so I put perspex over the tank braces with some plastic hooks I bought in B&Q for easy removal. ....no more evaporation :D

IMG_2221.jpg

I am sorry to sound like a dud but what is PERSPEX please? :oops:

faizal said:
curefan said:
This being my first open top tank, evaporation was driving me mad, so I put perspex over the tank braces with some plastic hooks I bought in B&Q for easy removal. ....no more evaporation :D

IMG_2221.jpg

I am sorry to sound like a dud but what is PERSPEX please? :oops:

A type of plastic.

Back