• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project My new DIY reactor project

DTL

Firstly I need to say this was inspired by Alastair's project, so thanks to him for inspiration and sourcing info.
My filters are Eheims so I made some adjustments to allow for tubing diameter, etc. I also used some John Guest pieces which I have used in building calcium reactors back in my reef keeping days.
Here are some pics:
imagevbz.jpg
imageoux.jpg
imagehohr.jpg
imagezky.jpg

This is what I used to seal the JG sockets. I've used it for years on aquarium projects without issue and it's much tougher than silicone adhesive
imagexms.jpg

Almost finished, just need a valve for the air bleed socket on the top
imagelqi.jpg

It will be mounted through the side panel of my stand like this
imagesvu.jpg

I'm hoping to have the final pieces this week and will test it next weekend so I can monitor how things go.

Bit of an update - Got the reactor hooked up this weekend, and after a couple of false starts due to minor leaks, disassembled it and redid all the screw seals using my tube of Marine Goop. After 24 hours to let it cure and retested with no probs at all. Have adjusted my bubble count back by at least 30% and have a nice yellow /green indicator.

5eha4a9y.jpg

Plants are looking happy and seeing great pearling. Pic below

imageebvf.jpg

Nice :)

The bits that connect the co2 tubing to the reactor - what are they called and where did you find them?

@DTL what do you have inside the tube to help the co2 dissolve? You have two small tubes, one at the top and one part way down. Presumably one will be for co2 to enter, what’s the other one for?

Back