• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My mini mountain

Hey guys I just wanted to show my little work in progress. It is all java moss with no substrate. Well besides the rock "mountain". It is in a tray I stole from my wife :) I think it was a candle holder. It is 3x3. I started with some java moss out of my daughters aquarium. I used scissors to cut it up into about 1/8 inch nubs. I knew each one would grow. I'm not patient and I wanted it to fill in quick. And it has made great progress this is where it is at now.
7d568627f9685e4dedbc7c6c39eb061c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh I guess I should add that this is about two months of growth. It has climbed all the way up the rock. And up the slope of the dish. If i pick up the rock the whole sheet of moss comes with it. My original plan was for a dish that is about 12 inches long and 5 inches wide. I was going to make an island chain. This is my first "island". I was just using this as a grow out for each island. And once each island was grown out enough I could shape it how ever I wanted that particular "island" to look with scissors. And use the clippings to start with the next island.

Love it! Congratulations !
Whats the maintenance? Do you have to keep it moist?

Enviado do meu Paris através de Tapatalk

Right now I just let it grow. No maintaining it at all. But when it does need to be trimmed just snip it with some scissors and your done. You can not hurt this plant at all. It is a low light moss so you don't need to spend a lot on lighting. My lighting setup cost me about 8 bucks and it is usb so the energy it uses is measured in milli amps :) . I run the lights 24 hrs a day. More for a nightlight in the kitchen than to grow the plants.

Yes it does need to stay moist (in my situation). It is not enclosed, just sitting on my counter. So I have to keep it moist. I water it once a day depending on evaporation ( ok i guess that's maintenance). But if you have it in a high humidity environment it's not so demanding. It looks it's best just before it runs out of water. You don't see the pool of water then. You can see through all the vines it's really neat. That's when it looks the most like a miniature island. I just make sure none of the vines dry out. I have not decided yet if I want to let it cover the whole rock or not. I like the look of it only half covered.

yup.totally love it. I've actually got a literal pile of vases and candle holders i've been meaning to do this in. you have just motivated me to get on it. :)

Here are a few pics showing the difference of when it is just watered. The second picture also shows my lighting setup. The top light is 6500 k and I don't know exactly what the bottom light is but it is more on the blue spectrum so I'm guessing around 10,000 k. It does make the green pop a bit more. And the second picture shows it with all the water dumped out. That's how I like it. It looks more like a tree canopy. If i edged it with sand you can really get the island feel. Complete with its own beach. :)
06c30753a17099c504fa51b5dde910ca.jpg

c493805585833200fcc2716ef63078be.jpg

yup.totally love it. I've actually got a literal pile of vases and candle holders i've been meaning to do this in. you have just motivated me to get on it. :)
If you do start one please let me know I love to see other peoples Creativity. As long as it's not as good as mine.:) .

Hi guys I was playing around with my "mountain ". I trimmed it up some. And messed around with the beach idea. Here are some pics the first is "low tide" and the second is "high tide " after I was done playing around I got rid of the sand. I used what I cut off to start a new island. It has a good head start not having to start from scratch like the first. I'm going to let the first grow back out. It shouldn't take long.
0380f86230eae7e8f1ef4cd4fc1462fd.jpg

cad91e9e56114dca0d868e1353d1ceb2.jpg

Thanks for the comments! I wasn't sure if it would look right. But I agree the sand looks good. The sand I have is very fine it's what I use for my corydoras. The hard part is watering without the sand just blowing all over the dish. When I get all of the "islands" done. And in the larger dish it will not be so hard. My whole idea was inspired by bonsai. I think the sand gives it a bonsai'ish feel. The sand gives the stone the illusion of being something bigger than it is.

Last edited:
Back