• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My log!

Loving the look so far. It's going to look stunning when planted.

Well the log has been in the tank for about one month, the plant are growing well & their roots are showing.
I took the log out to have a better look..

log5.jpg

log6.jpg

really nice idea, :) good to see someone thinking outside the box i think it looks really snazzy, can you still see the green mesh when the log is in the tank or has that got roots all over it?

Thanks everybody for your positive comments.
In fact I can see many variations to the theme, I like the fact the log is removable as this not only enables easy maintenance of the plants but you can reposition the log on its return so the tank has a different look on a regular basis.
I have also thought that if I could make another similar log then the variations to the layout would be endless - I could rotate the logs keeping one in an immersed state while the over lives in the tank. Or I could on occasions have two logs in the tank!
I have tried a few methods of holding the log in position but, at the moment it is simply jammed in place! Not quite as basic as that because I have coated the ends with 5mm of silicone & this actually works very well, the log does in fact lock firmly at what ever height you place it. However there is not much of a choice of angle due to the limited tolerances. The danger of using this most basic method would be if the log was left for to long in one position, the wood could swell up with water & expand enough to crack the glass!
I can also now see, how I could possible incorporate associated equipment either withing the log or fixed to the back out of site.
For instance I think I could fix a custom built spray bar into the log.

It looks fantastic. :D

It is indeed a fantastic idea.

Why not wrap some moss to the log, making it look less like a newly placed log, but a aged log, very old and abused by the plants? :)

It is due to people like you that the hobby keeps breaking new grounds in inventiveness and reassessment of what is possible within a confined space.

A true inspiration.

Thanks guys, yeah I like the way the glosso is draping down, I would like to see more & longer :)
I have been using http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/prod ... product=82 ready mixed ferts + 5ml of Flourish 6 days a week in my 225 lts & I must say the tank looks very green & algae free at the moment.
Unfortunately I dropped my SLR a few months back & i have yet to get a replacement so I just cant get any decent pics with my compact :?

I read this thread when you first started it and I couldn't work out where you were going with the hollowed out log. I thought, this guys either a bit of a nut, or he's got way too much time on his hands :)
But now, well, it's an excellent example of imaginative aquarium design. It goes way past the word Aquascaping and I love these extreme design ideas that pop up occasionally. I have a plan to do an emersed growth tank with branches coming in from above with plants and moss attached, but seeing this makes me wish to be far more adventurous!

The plants draping down look fantastic! Such a lovely effect and as you said, this just opens up so many possibilities going forward.
Thanks so much for showing this and inspiring us. I feel like building something really quite radical now.

By the way, I did do a big 4.5ft chunky branch along the back wall of my 5ft tank that I cut along the top and down the back so it had a 90degree angle to it's rear but the natural twist and shape to the front. I cut a chunk out of the far left rear and drilled down its length, then inserted a plastic pipe with silicone at the end and once set I drilled the wood and pipe to create a spraybar. It worked very well and looked the business. I only removed it when I made changes to plants and filters down the line but it's still an idea I will use again I think. But next time I'd like to do a large branch with multiple spraybars. One drilled and inserted down each branch
:)

Thanks again, and congratulations on a stunning tank!

Back