• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Learning Curve

mike L

Seedling
Began about 2 years ago. Basically I was an outdoor gardener and plant enthusiast, but was looking for a way to enjoy plants from the warm comfort of my armchair throughout the winter months. I liked the idea of a palludarium, but my knowledge and experience with aquatic flora was limited to fishkeeping in my teens back when planted tanks were far less the norm. I bought Elodea and Cabomba as oxygenators and sanctuary for my fish, but beyond this, understood little about what plants could 'bring to the party' in an aquarium.

Years later, terrestrial gardening helped me to understand plant's needs and their relationship with light and soil-types. I also experimented finding out what plants will grow happily in my soil-sites if I add nothing and do little....basically, which plants or shrubs 'like' where they've just been put...and which ones do not.

So this was how I began my foray into aquatic plants. Which plants would like my 25 litre nano, my bog-standard regional tap-water, and my unspectacular lighting arrangement?

This was how this experiment looked. (below)

vlcsnap-00005.jpg

At this stage, I was injecting DIY C02 using the yeast/sugar method, and had the tank at 28 c. I had not committed to any substrate as yet as I was curious about water column dosing alone and it's limitations.
The rectangular plastic container held dwarf baby tears under a slice of plastic mesh on top of some pea gravel. There was some growth initially but mainly melt and rot. Indeed, most plants were unremarkable in their progress, and there were many casualties that just didn't make it.

Then I progressed to this (below)

vlcsnap-00006.jpg

I added a substrate layer. I also had a snail outbreak, and after experimenting with alum, potassium permanganate and diluted bleach as plant 'dips'....I discovered that assassin snails could help curb the unwanted snail population. Which they did...sort of.

Continuing (below)

vlcsnap-00008.jpg

I was getting reasonable growth, and the tank was now cycled so 8 phantom tetras were added. At this stage I was experimenting with all manner of weird and wonderful ways to diffuse my DIY C02 into the water.
This was still not an 'aquascape' though. It was still just an observation tank for me to learn from with trial and error methods regarding ferts, photo-periods, water-flow etc...

Onward (below)

vlcsnap-00009.jpg

External filter purchased, and pressurised C02 also. (getting serious this..) The Alternanthera Reineckii was also removed as it was becoming an algae magnet and taking up far too much space. Hereafter, there were some good results and the filter really turned the water over well, increasing water clarity which gave me a big lift. Staurogyne repens however, did not want to grow in this tank, which was disappointing because I had imagined a lush carpet of this....but this was what the tank was telling me, so I had to accept it for now. Shortly after this pic..... algae attack....the solution....more plants....a lot more plants....and hell....why not try a 'scape' whilst I'm at it...

See Below (sorry for blurry pic)

vlcsnap-00010.jpg

From hereon in.... things improved. Balancing C02 with an airstone to get some oxygen into the external filter and adjusting waterflow and adding some root-tabs...it felt like I was getting there..

Progress

vlcsnap-00011.jpg

Yes that's a lush raft of HC in the foreground with Pogostemon Helferi tied onto bogwood mid-tank. Two mini-power heads were pushing C02 into all nooks n crannies I ran C02 24/7 and just put an airstone on a night time timer. I also changed the substrate (carib-sea)

Healthy, Green, Algae Free, (below)

vlcsnap-00013.jpg

So this ended my initial learning curve with a planted tank. This tank ultimately remained very stable, easy to maintain and caused little to no stress to the system. But I still had lots more to learn....and I mean LOTS!!

But that's a tale for another journal....!!

Thanks for reading, and any questions most welcome!!

Cheers

Mike :)

Well you've certainly got me interested! What a great approach to see how/what plants reacted to being planted. Last photo looks brilliant and lush!
Looking forward to the next update.
Matt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

From hereon in.... things improved. Balancing C02 with an airstone to get some oxygen into the external filter and adjusting waterflow and adding some root-tabs...it felt like I was getting there..

Can you explain this?.

I really like the improvements in your setup, and all the equipment to get those plants do healty

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Can you explain this?.

I really like the improvements in your setup, and all the equipment to get those plants do healty

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk
Thank you....

At one stage, I was consumed with C02 and not allowing my surface to de-gas, so had the barest minimum of surface movement. However, I learned that my internal filter also required a certain amount of oxygen for it's bacteria colonies, and with the tank having such a small surface area for atmospheric gas exchange, the best thing to do would be to run an air-stone. This would obviously de-gas my C02 a little though soooo....I cranked up the c02 and ran the air-stone lightly but continuously. This is a balancing act that some here (I've read) seem to do, but many often view as being wasteful with C02.

I reasoned that natural water bodies in nature don't have their C02 input switched off at night-time, but they DO probably have surface flow, which keeps things in balance.
Anyway, after tinkering with C02 and aeration levels....I found a sweet-spot.....my water went crystal clear almost overnight (filter efficiency) and my plants totally greened up and went rampant.....win/win.

The price of this?

Spend a bit more on C02 and don't sweat it running 24/7.....it's worth it.

This was my experience :)

Mike

Back