• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My humble start - need plan advice

I’ll take some new growth any day looks like little leaves growing.

It’s like the first time I needed to shave all over again.

Attachments

• F44BE515-C9BE-47EE-B86B-EB7BDF67B97C.jpeg
    F44BE515-C9BE-47EE-B86B-EB7BDF67B97C.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 136
Meanwhile here in snowmaggedon after 50% WC. Im still not light blue….
02F4DCEC-8BAA-4396-8015-F5572C48155F.jpeg

How much snow did you guys get?... We didn't get any, but our snowfall is rarely really extreme here in MN compared to the upper east... its just cold, reaaally cold! :)
bout 18" so far.... supposed to keep going for another 3-4 hours

Another 30% water change today and the nitrites are worse than yesterday post water change.

Should I do a massive change or just wait it out?

I have zero ammonia registering.

I’m a little nervous that I could be stalling the cycle or killing some of the ammonia eating bacteria…

On a positive note I should be getting a nice gallon size bag of floaters for free tomorrow

Hi all,
I’m a little nervous that I could be stalling the cycle or killing some of the ammonia eating bacteria…
You needn't worry, just change some water and <"add the floaters"> when they arrive. I'm keen on the <"Seasoned Tank Time"> concept, rather than in the idea of a switch from <"not cycled / cycled">.

Whatever you are told, or read, neither <"stalling the cycle"> or <"ammonia eating bacteria"> are really relevant any more, now we know more about the micro-organisms that <"actually perform nitrification in aquariums">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

You needn't worry, just change some water and <"add the floaters"> when they arrive. I'm keen on the <"Seasoned Tank Time"> concept, rather than in the idea of a switch from <"not cycled / cycled">.

Whatever you are told, or read, neither <"stalling the cycle"> or <"ammonia eating bacteria"> are really relevant any more, now we know more about the micro-organisms that <"actually perform nitrification in aquariums">.

cheers Darrel
@dw1305 Darrel your title needs to be appended with "The Curator" or "Human Card Catalog"

also is the above recommended source of Mg the same thing as Epsom salt? I can buy 5lbs at the gorcery store for the same as 1/2lb mailed.

Last edited:
I had to stop doing midweek waterchanges b/c there was a watermain break up the road. 4 days ago and I wanted to make sure the pipes were clear as I had some brown water coming in through the tap on weds

And just like that, this morning I test the tank and No NITRITES... None... Zero. Wow.

the small piece of subwassertang is melting... the moneywort is doing terrible, but the other 3 plants eem to be doing ok. Java Fern, Anubias, and some other plant maybe a crypt? I tossed the container and forgot to write it down.

I was on the road for work this week so missed my midweek WC again
I am gearing up to buy the ferts tonight , thanks again @Hufsa .

I took a toothbrush to the surface of the rootball, and A LOT of brown dust scrubbed off very easily. I also scrubbed all the BBA that I could see. I vaccuumed most of it out of the tank. I am removing the Whisper i40 and just letting the sponge take over for now. I wonder if all this available organic material and somewhat boarderline high pH of 7.8sh is contributing to the BBA as discussed in other threads.

I never did get the delivery of the frogbit, the gentleman who offered lives like an hour away and we keep missing opportunity. However the frogbit I do have in the tank seems to be doing "OK" larger leaves seem to die but smaller ones keep appearing. The roots hanging are now very short. ~3mm

I did get a sunsun304b for free that was leaking, I intend on doing my best to repair and see if I can get it running. I intend on filling it with some polyfill and lava rock which I can get for about $9 for 25lb if I can get it leak free.

Ammonia and Nitrite are now 0
Nitrate is about 5ppm.

Im on the road Mon-Thu next week again, so I am not going to stock the tank until next weekend.

While I was gone,

@Hufsa So how and what parts of this can go together ?
I assume the macros NPK go together and the micros in a separate container with distilled water.

What about the Fe and the MgSO4?
Macro or micro bottle?

They go with eye of newt and butterfly tongue?

FBD825D5-9FB5-4606-A2AC-165607E3ECA5.jpeg

While I was gone,

@Hufsa So how and what parts of this can go together ?
I assume the macros NPK go together and the micros in a separate container with distilled water.

What about the Fe and the MgSO4?
Macro or micro bottle?

They go with eye of newt and butterfly tongue?

View attachment 183437
You would do well to use the best free fertz tool out there:
Cheers!

So I added:

6 Kuhli loaches
7 Black neon Tetras
3 Albino Corydoras

Still trying to find a good set of containers for my ferts. Prob gonna head to walmart or the dollar store today also get a gallon of DI water to mix the ferts into...

Today is WC change day.

The gentlemen at the LFS suggested I reduce my tank temps to from 78(25.5) 74sh F (23.3C). Said fish will be less likely to get sick and that algae wont be as happy.

74 is definitely better for plants. with the fish you've got you could go a little lower still. You might also want to consider a few more albino corys, as they are a social fish.
Data below from Seriously Fish.

Latin NameFriendly NamesizeLow TempHigh TempPHHard LowHard HighLevelMin. Num
Corydoras paleatus
Albino Cory
7.0​
22​
26​
6-8.0
35​
447​
bottom
6​