• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My head is bursting

Wolfie

I read and read about EI ferts and the more I read the more I seem to confuse myself. I have a 46L approx, I think it is moderately planted ( may be wrong, might be heavily planted have c02 injected approx 2/3 bps).
I currently dose 12ml a day but think maybe need more, but how much more???
Do I need to add more of 1 specific salt or take 1 salt away?
is there away to find what I am, or if I am lacking in a certain salts.
I don’t want to just have a planted tank that is not growing to its full potential.
I am using Twinstar 450s, on at 3pm (c02 on 3 hours before) 20%, 4pm- 40%, 5pm-55%, 6pm-75% then same intervals back down till lights off (c02 off 1 hour before light)
image.jpg

The plant on back left (not sure what it is) has been trimmed back and re planted but noticed that the leaves that are coming through seem to be screwed up and miss shape.
Bacopa Australis after cut back and replanted seems to have gone like a string vest. Ludwigia mini super red after lots of melting has started to grow back.
Pagostemun Helferii seems to be bouncing back and everything else is growing very well.
Tropica substrate with aqua growth soil(Bacterkit soil).
been set up now for 25 days.
any advice would be much appreciated TIA

currently dose 12ml a day
Off what?
is there away to find what I am, or if I am lacking in a certain salts.
Watch the plants and if they are healthy all is good, if they are not healthy you look up or ask what the deficiency is, or just dose a bit more.

EI dosing is about dosing so everything is in abundance and regular Water Changes (WC), the regular WCS remove any possible build up of excessive salts and remove any Dissolved Organic Compounds (DOCs). If you change anything allow 4-6 weeks for the plants to show you if it helps, if no changes go back to where you was before. Cutting back is the same- reduce dose no changes in 4-6 weeks and you fine, if plants look worse increase fert dose. It doesn't have to be 'rocket science'.
From you pics plants look well :thumbup:, but 25 days is still early days IMO.

Yer that’s 12ml macro and 12 ml micro alternative days.
just been through W/C routine and now cycled and on 1 50% per week at the mo, just want to be a step ahead, have noticed a few strands of algae today so will keep eye on that. New to planted hobby and find with internet that there is so many conflicting stories.
But thanks for reply

Think a lot of conflicting advice is often given by aquarists who dont actually use EI. I only use it on 55 gallon and do what @Zeus advises just increase if like me cant work out what defiency

Yer that’s 12ml macro and 12 ml micro alternative days.
Sorry still meaningless, the volume you dose is helpful if your using a commercial product, from that and tank volume we can work out the weekly ppms.
If you doing a DIY mix most folk quote the regime or the ppms three popular regimes that can be regarded at times as EI dose
1622449205104.png

The definitive guide...

Think a lot of conflicting advice is often given by aquarists who dont actually use EI. I only use it on 55 gallon and do what @Zeus advises just increase if like me cant work out what defiency
Sounds like the plan as have no idea how to work out what ppm has a certain part

The definitive guide...

Have read this a dosen times lol but just dont sink in. Think i will just experiment over couple of months as to what improves the plants or makes them worse fingers X😬

The plant on back left (not sure what it is) has been trimmed back and re planted but noticed that the leaves that are coming through seem to be screwed up and miss shape.
Bacopa Australis after cut back and replanted seems to have gone like a string vest. Ludwigia mini super red after lots of melting has started to grow back.
Hello,
These are all signs of poor CO2 and has nothing to do with EI. My suggestion is to forget about getting perfect nutrients and concentrate of fixing your CO2/flow/distribution. As long as you are adding nutrition then there really is nothing to worry about unless the plants show symptoms of nutrient deficiency - which they do not at this time.

Cheers,

Hello,
These are all signs of poor CO2 and has nothing to do with EI. My suggestion is to forget about getting perfect nutrients and concentrate of fixing your CO2/flow/distribution. As long as you are adding nutrition then there really is nothing to worry about unless the plants show symptoms of nutrient deficiency - which they do not at this time.

Cheers,
I dont think my flow is to good so gonna change the lilly pipe to a jet pipe and see if that helps

Back