• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My HC in dry srart method

H..

image.jpg
Now after one week since planting. My HC is mostly looking good but in some spots it has melted down totaly due to what?

I am water spraying it many times dayli to keep moist. But can it be too much or not enough?

What causes this meltdown in just some plants?

H

More pics

As yuo see, some are triving and some are not

Attachments

• IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 113
The sand is really thick in the background and also very dry besides when i am spraying it like three to six times a day.

The tank is not extra tempered so always over 22C

Two T5 54w bulbs. One white one red

No ferts jet. But i am thinking of giving some with the spray this week. Any PMDD sugestions in to the one liter spray?

H

The idea is to water the substrate until it's very moist but with no puddles of water visible. That means it's alright to see some water through the glass as long as it's not above substrate level. Maybe it's the photos but yours does look very dry. If you have water somewhere at the halfway level of your substrate, you wouldn't be needing to spray it so many times daily.

I can tell you, that HC is one of those plants, that do not really appreciate constant repeated spraying ( I work at a nursery - so I know! ). It does need high humididity.....but this is not the same thing.
In your set-up, you may need to spray sometimes, to achieve the high humidity - but try to minimise. The high humidity should be provided otherwise, ex. like Progen suggest above.
It might be tempting to cover the tank 100%, all the time, but this is not possible. You will need to ventilate at least once a day, to let surfaces dry ( including leaves and stems of plants ) and thereby prevent fungi - this is important!
This drying of surfaces ( or in your case lack of same ) might well be the reason for the melt ( caused by fungi ) you experience......

I've added a small humidifier on mine as the heat isn't great in there to create a massive amount of humidity. Also not here all the time to spray. Not sure if it works or not yet but I will let you no progress of it if you like? I got it more for trying to keep my moss moist. After reading this it maybe better for my hc Aswel

In my recent DSM , didn't have HC and used AS as substrate. Found after a few weeks of carpet doing well with sealed tank. The fungus came but controlled it easy by just airing at night. But I did have very high humidity at first, think it helped the plants get started. But obviously sand as substrate is more tricky

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

I've added a small humidifier on mine as the heat isn't great in there to create a massive amount of humidity. Also not here all the time to spray. Not sure if it works or not yet but I will let you no progress of it if you like? I got it more for trying to keep my moss moist. After reading this it maybe better for my hc Aswel

I bought one as well but thought that the 12v power supplies I had lying around could be used. Didn't notice that it was a 24volter.

I tried a dry start on mine too but got lazy after a week and flooded the thing. :D

I bought one as well but thought that the 12v power supplies I had lying around could be used. Didn't notice that it was a 24volter.

I tried a dry start on mine too but got lazy after a week and flooded the thing. :D

I hadn't noticed that so it's a good thing you mentioned it lol

The idea is to water the substrate until it's very moist but with no puddles of water visible. That means it's alright to see some water through the glass as long as it's not above substrate level. Maybe it's the photos but yours does look very dry. If you have water somewhere at the halfway level of your substrate, you wouldn't be needing to spray it so many times daily.

Thanks progen, thats good info, this is exactly opposite to my tank. It is full of dry sand from the hardscapings. Theres probably less than five liters of water in the whole tank. great info.

I can tell you, that HC is one of those plants, that do not really appreciate constant repeated spraying ( I work at a nursery - so I know! ). It does need high humididity.....but this is not the same thing.
In your set-up, you may need to spray sometimes, to achieve the high humidity - but try to minimise. The high humidity should be provided otherwise.

Thanks mick, this is interesting. I was suspecting the spraying was an problem, and perhaps that strong lamps would burn the leafs due to water drops effects- or soething else.

So I guess that humiditiy is a key factor in front of "rainforest"

The fungus came but controlled it easy by just airing at night. But I did have very high humidity at first, think it helped the plants get started. But obviously sand as substrate is more tricky

Yes, due to too high high humidity, this may be why some plants has melted, and I am now ventilating much more than the first half of first week.

H

Back