• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal My first Wabi Kusa

Silviu Man

Dear All,

First, please excuse me if I will make some mistakes writing here.
I am speaking and understanding english but not so good.

It was a nice surprise for me to find a section dedicated to Wabi Kusa in a forum dedicated to aquarium projects. Wabi Kusa, like Bonsai, Penjing and Paludarium, is a new hobby of mine that looks attractive to me. So, three weeks ago, I've decided to make my first Wabi Kusa.

I read a lot about this interesting domain, I found on YouToube nice and interesting tutorials, especially that made by James Findley and others. So, here it is.

First, I found a place. In my house, on the second floor, there is a area where my wife keep the indor flowers. There is a iron stand that is perfect for placing my Wabi Kusa :

Rs61pNC.jpg

I read about first three week that are crucial for adaptation of the plants to the emerse environment so need to ensure the proper greenhouse effect in first stage. So I get the 5.5 litters bowl and I attached on the top a plastic string that support a cover, special made for it, with a special hole on top, that will serve as a place fro water and CO2 addition.

nqXVzuX.jpg

Then I collect the tools and materials :

WTfI8VR.jpg

The plants used are :
Marsilea hirsuta In-Vitro
Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba In-Vitro
Utricularia graminifolia In-Vitro

Then after I added the support and substrate :

UVjNXF5.jpg

hgXCKzl.jpg

... and a few stones.

4MVrZtH.jpg

I put the plants and a few small stones ...

yfKOi2y.jpg

... the plastic string that will support the cover ...

eBlLZPx.jpg

... and the cover with a CO2 addition.

af2aWGt.jpg

Week 1 :

LbpJ4lB.jpg

37vszlb.jpg

Week 2 :

NlaIxwr.jpg

Week 3 :

4MvqqNO.jpg

Now I have to step to next stage, removing the cover and replacing it with a new one, with more hole in order to adapt the plants to "out of greenhouse" environment. Hope to succeed!

Because absorbtion of CO2 by the plants that grow in that small bowl, covered and where air flow is 0, is seriously limited.
So, a succesful "green house" efect need CO2 addition, until the cover is removed. More than that, the stoma from the
leave will suffer a transformation during adaptation to emerged environment. This because why many projects fail. The transition
should be very carefully prepared and made. Please note that all plants are "in-vitro", meaning that its already grown in such conditions.
If you take out from aqvarium some plants raised under the water, then is a total different story. If you search on this section, there is a
project with a bowl that have two open "windows". There is air flow so, CO2 from air, flow among the plants also. By the way, it looks very nice!

Edit :https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cryptocoryne-wabi-kusa.49760/#post-491421

Your plants are looking good and healthy Silviu.

What is your plan going forward, will you trim them or let them grow and see what happens?

Thanks!
I will trim Marsilea, at the limit with HC. I will keep the rest to see how will grow. I intend to make a larger wabi kusa and to multiply HC for my next project.

Back