• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first high tech planted tank

bionicfinger

Seedling
So finally got myself the money together to go and get the ea900 aquascaper. Got a good deal on ebay from someone who bought this and never got round to getting it set up.

All the hardscape was included in the sale and I've had a bit of a play around to see what I can create. This is my first attempt and more difficult than I thought it would be. Ignore all the volcanic rock mixed with the soil. This also came in the tank when I purchased it, and I've got the laborious task of separating it all when I can muster the willpower.

I've bought the oase biomaster 600, have a co2 setup ready to go, glass lilypipe and inlet with clear tubing and skimmer.

Not sure I like the outcome just yet and heading to aquarium gardens tomorrow to get some more inspiration and hardscape materials. Will also pick up the twinstar 900sa, an inline co2 diffuser and some more tropica soil.

Here are a couple of (very similar) layouts I've tried so far. Let me know your thoughts on what I've done so far. I'm new to this so don't mind the constructive criticism :)
IMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2109.JPG

Thanks both.

That's the plan, going to get another 18l of soil to create the banks on both sides and create a valley. I'll have some fuji sand or similar at the very front and create a path going towards the back and to the right.

I think that will look good banked and rocks with the sand path through the middle id make the path way go a little more of centre and getting smaller as it goes up.to give it depth also brake the wood at the tops with flat sawn off peices so it looks natural just a pair of plyers to break it and make it look natural
Cheers
Jay

Ignore all the volcanic rock mixed with the soil. This also came in the tank when I purchased it, and I've got the laborious task of separating it all when I can muster the willpower.
I’d just use this as the “lower layer” - as you’re intending to add slope and more substrate there’s no reason to bother
I suppose a Bonsai rake might easily remove the surface layer of volcanic rock

At the front of the tank, where you may want just a thin substrate layer, use new

OK so I changed my mind on the rock and got some dragon stone. Cleared all the volcanic rock and put another two bags of tropica soil and this is the result. I much prefer this to my previous attempt, but still not entirely sure about rock placement.
IMG_2115.JPG

Back