• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first ever riparium!

thataviationguy

Seedling
Hi guys! This is, well, my second post in UKAPS!
(INTRO)

So this journal is going to be about my first ever aquarium! A 25-gallon plastic tub:)... it is cycled and the residents currently are:

5 zebra danios
several guppies
6 Amano shrimps
some random pond snails that managed to get in it by-um- ummm--good question!

The tank has been sitting in there for several months(since June), and I wasn't really planned to do an aquascape. So the only thing I did was just to throw in some poor plants and let them grow wild.

Unfortunately my effort didn't pay off, the results are absolutely terrible, plants are dying and algae are growing all over the place. So that when I started thinking, hey, let's make a riparium cause, why not?

So here we go! Let's begin.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(INFO ABOUT THE TANK)

The cost of this aquarium is under 50 bucks, it's quite cheap and all the materials(hardscape) are collected from wild.

I have topsoil underneath some gravels
that about $5

few rocks and twigs are collected from wild.
so free $0

I also bought a HOB and a sponge filter and some other airline tubing things which only cost me
$20

And finally, I stupidly got myself a bunch of plants for
$20, and only half survived during transportation...:(

Last edited:
Weekly Updates

Yesterday I decided to pick up a pothos plant and a peace lily(which, in fact, contained 6 to 8 in it). Today I spent an hour planting the peace lily into their planters, secure in place; and will be putting in the pothos plant later in the week:)

Last edited:
weekly updates!

from now on I'll be updating this journal weekly. So the first two days the leaves drop and whole thing looks like its dying but after a few days they start to get better and as I can see, there are some new roots coming out!:)

Last edited:
Alright, after a bit of struggling i managed to get a shot of my aquarium in the night time!

Attachments

• IMG_20170131_202524_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170131_202524_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20170131_202516_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170131_202516_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Weekly updates!

The riparium is going well, the two two lily flower is dying away slowly while a new one is coming out. I am glad that they are settling in nicely, and might even helped a bit! My new result for the nitrAte is 5-10PPM compares to a month before which is at 20ppm.

The bottom part is fine, I added some new plants to the empty area.:)

They'll do well there if they get some light from the window during the day.
the peace lily is beside a window.Thanks for mentioning tho

Weekly Updates!

Not so much good news this week, as I am dealing with some nasty Camallanus worms explosion inside the tank. This nasty parasite has taken a few guppies' live already, and it's getting more serious. After a ton of research, I decided that I am going to quarantine all the fish and treat them in that tank. The main tank I think i won't do anything except some deep gravel cleans. This way I won't lose the cycle, shrimps, snails and the plants since the worms will die out quickly without fish. I will then add the original inhabitants back(if they survived) after several months.

question:
Can invertebrates like snails and shrimps get camallanus worms?

Alright, as mentioned above, i am still keeping the tank and updates on them. It will just going to be a temporary shrimp tank.:)
A new lily flower had grown and I changed the container to a plastic clear bottle.

Weekly Updates!

The tank is really going wild! The plants had covered majority part of the rock and had been growing a lot! The peace lily flower is going wild and the plants are doing well, i am still keeping an eye on the parasites but nothing major is happening.

Weekly Updates!e

The6 guppy fish passed away unfortunately, and I found 6 Camallanus worms inside her gut, RIP:( little fishy.

Meanwhile, the meds are still on the way, i believe Fenbendazole does not affect planted aquariums, right? Also, yesterday I did a 50/50 water change, and a filter clean, as from I can see the riparium plants have been growing quite a bit, including new roots and new leaves.

Any suggestions for type of woods I can use for the central hardscape(since the snow is almost gone!) Thanks!

Hi all,
The6 guppy fish passed away unfortunately, and I found 6 Camallanus worms inside her gut, RIP:( little fishy.

Meanwhile, the meds are still on the way, i believe Fenbendazole does not affect planted aquariums, right?
Sorry to hear about your fish, I think Camallanus infection is a real problem in fish bred in (mainly) SE Asia. I think one of the problems is resistance to flubendazole, I'm not sure whether resistance to fenbendazole and levamisole also occurs.

I've used "Panacur" (fenbendazole) and "Harka Verm" (levamisole HCl) in a planted tank without any problems. Fenbendazole kills Hydra and Planaria, but not annelid worms, snails or shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Thank you for your reply, I definitely appreciate it

weekly updates!

The plants are filing out quick, here are some pictures

Thank you so much! The meds arrived today and I am going to treat IMMEDIATELY!

here is the procedure(if something is incorrect time

First I do a big water change, then divide the 1 gram packet into 10 sections(20 gallon tank) and soak them in blood worms shake violently. Then feed the whole thing to the fish and do that for two times a day for three days.
then after three weeks i do another this treatment again for to kill newborns right?

Back