• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My EA Aquascaper has just arrived.. :D

the twinstar nano?

On a budget, this is easily replaced by attention to maintenance

In a recent Live Chat, George Farmer admitted that while he rinsed the prefilter on his EA1200 at least weekly, he had still not opened the body of the Oase 600 ... in 3 years

Jayefc1 every little certainly does help, and water looks lovely and clear, any aditional flow added at all? thanks again mate for all your help!?

Alto- ah really thats good to know..
i have planted dry before but that sounds like a good idea, and yes i will more than likely have the hardscape sat there for a little bit before planting just finalising things when i get to that point. :D so excited ha!!

would you reccomend a mix of the soil then as you said earlier the larger and smaller ? 1 of each?
or would it be an idea to just go for the smaller . do you think this would add more depth to the scape?

Thanks Matt

I like to rescape my tanks, so after using “layered substrates” a few times, changed over to just one substrate ... as I have smaller tanks, I went with Tropica Powder

If you do choose the larger Tropica Soil with a “topping” of Powder, this can easily be reused as if it were the larger Soil, just “top” again with Powder when rescaping

If you decide on a steeply banked substrate, then I would use more of the larger grain size as it will remain more aerated (the less uniform and larger particles pack less densely)

Depending on brand/location, price between Powder and non-powder Aquarium Soil may be slight or substantial

Welcome Matt, its a great site with lots of helpful advice/knowledge.

I have the same tank, ultra copper gloss cabinet....and love it.

I will be following your aquascape journey :thumbup:

Hi again matt sorry been working but yes as stated the oase filters are great i have had no problems at all ,so easy to clean pipe work by just taking out of filter without actually removing the pipes but just by turning the nob and the inlet and outlet come out together and prefilter is amazingly easy and build in heater is great aswel.

Touch wood but amazing.

Also same as jay upgraded the foam sponges in the prefilter for the more course ones (red 30ppi)as the blue ones (45ppi) supplied are more fine as block and restricted flow a bit so found red ones better but not required just better for me.

Should be great setup.
Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

In a recent Live Chat, George Farmer admitted that while he rinsed the prefilter on his EA1200 at least weekly, he had still not opened the body of the Oase 600 ... in 3 years
I saw that and still cant actually belive it but I'm not disputing it is possible as he only every uses the 45psi sponges but 3 years is a long time

I saw that and still cant actually belive it but I'm not disputing it is possible as he only every uses the 45psi sponges but 3 years is a long time
Well I must admit to opening my Eheims only every 3-6 or 6-12 months - and that’s with no prefilter
(Yes I often wait for flow to slow ... ALOT )

Hi everyone,
Thanks Oscar for the comment, just seen your Aquascaping journey ! looks great mate:D
(i am excited myself to get this journey on the go and keep everyone updated with my progress)

Deano3- i have seen so many positive reviews on the filters but have just read the thread on here about them and seen so many negatives about flow not been great etc (a lot of people having surges of air come through there lilly pipes etc)-still hasn't put me off totally, but im glad to hear your experience has been good! (would and willbe using the ea lilly pipes with the inbuilt skimmer)-which brand do you use?

Jayefc1- thats good to know, thanks i would hope the 350 alone was sufficient but i suppose if and when its set up i got a dead spot in the tank i could always introduce one, looking at a carpet of Monte Carlo at the minute..

Alto- iv'e never used ehiem myself heard the quality isn't what it used to be, but guess everything is going that way now more money and less well built...
the only other filter i would consider as to the Oase 350 is the EhiemProffesional 4+ but that would mean an inline heater i guess... still a lot of time to decide but i just don't know what is going to be better iv'e had fluval's in the past and JBL cristalprofi but never anything else the main thing that drew me to the Oase was the heater in the filter housing. and of course George Farmers words about them.. but after reading the thread on the Oase im just unsure i just want a reliable filter with a good turnover looking to spend around £200 mark but am interested in any other options anyone has budget could wiggle slightly..

Thanks again everyone
Matt:)

Alto- iv'e never used ehiem myself heard the quality isn't what it used to be, but guess everything is going that way now more money and less well built...
the only other filter i would consider as to the Oase 350 is the EhiemProffesional 4+ but that would mean an inline heater i guess... still a lot of time to decide but i just don't know what is going to be better iv'e had fluval's in the past and JBL cristalprofi but never anything else the main thing that drew me to the Oase was the heater in the filter housing. and of course George Farmers words about them.. but after reading the thread on the Oase im just unsure i just want a reliable filter with a good turnover looking to spend around £200 mark but am interested in any other options anyone has budget could wiggle slightly..

Thanks again everyone
Matt:)

You can get an Eheim with inbuilt heater, both Pro 3 and Pro 4+, but they are definitely over your £200 budget. I have the Oase 600T on a 260 ltr tank. I'm happy with the flow as far as filtration goes, but I've had to put in one 900L/h flow pump, and about to add another. Personally, I prefer flow with low velocity, hence my choice of two smaller pumps rather than one single big one.

hypnogogia- thanks for your reply
aright that's something to look into then i guess, how have you personally found your own Oase (obviously yours is the bigger model- but your tank is over double the amount of litre mine is)

i just want a good quality filter with minimal issues, will regularly clean it in tank water, but just want minimal if no problems!
is your tank heavily planted?

Thanks again for the comment :)

@Matt1994 I’m really happy with my filter. The best part is the pre filter which I clean once per week and that keeps actual filter maintenance to a minimum With the 30ppi (orange) filters it takes out a lot of muck. I also read those reviews that you have but haven’t experienced any air in filter or burping. I can’t compare flow with other filters as I went from an internal Juwel filter to this. With filter and power head combined I reckon I have 7.5X flow.

I was heavily planted, but removed a lot last week as a got bored of all the vallis I had. Have replanted with some new stock, but that will take a while to grow and give me the density that I had before.

Hi Matt,
I was going to go for the Oase as the pros are the heater concealed in cabinet/ and as the guys are saying pre filter easy to change.

I personally went for the fluval 307, it’s well over x 10 turn over for the 100litre tank. Part of that decision was based on ive always had fluval with no issues, great build quality/reliability..... so punted again for that. My thinking/ personal view is once background plants grow in you will not see heater.

Just my thoughts;)

Oscar.

I’d go for either the 350t eheim or oase 300 biomaster T.

The issues with oase relate to the the 1st generation 600 model. They are now on the 2nd generation now that solved all the issues.

the other models had no issues.

price wise the oase is a brilliant buy. Just need to get some decent media for about £30. That’s assuming you do want to change the sponges.

Fluval - excellent pumps, horrible plastic in my experience. Saying that I’ve only use the G series.

While there is that thread with Oase filter issues, I suspect that many more Oase filters are sold without issue - it is much simpler if you buy through a reputable shop with good customer service (when buying any filter or expensive light unit etc)

Hi All

After a long time and what with the housemove delayed due to covid and money being a little tight with furlough we have some slight progress.
Tank now In its forever home
We have the hardscape sat in steel lilly pipes and in the cabinet a biomaster thermo 350.

Hardscape is manzanita wood and seriyu stone

Next is the the co2 kit
Substrate then its time to plant hoping to plant mid December as thats the soonest I can get some time off at work

Couple of questions...
How long could I leave the soil dry in the tank if I'm planning to plant mid December?
And whats the best way of attaching the wood to the rock.?

Thanks everyone and sorry its been a while hope everyone and there aquascapes (fish and shrimp included) are all doing well :)
Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• 20200926_171225.jpg
    20200926_171225.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
Back