• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Co2 system that was free!

oliverar

Hi everyone, I would just like to share my experiences with making co2 with everyone here. Well I made a DIY one for free! Here are some pictures!

This is the Yeast mixture which produces the co2:
P1010224.jpg

This is the Diffuser:
P1010225.jpg

I mixed up the Yeast mixture with 1 sachet of dry bakers yeast, 2 cup's of sugar, and 3 pinches of baking soda, then fill the bottle 3/4 full of warm water and shake well. CO2 should start with in 2 hours! I then made a small hole in the lid of the lemonade bottle and stuck in the co2 tubing which I was given very kindly by some one on a forum! I then smeared super glue all round the tube and the lid to seal it.

I then very simply pushed the tube into the diffuser's inlet and waited for the co2 to start, I was also given the diffuser by someone on the forum's!

It is working really well and I get load's of co2! If you need something always ask around because with pressurised co2 you use different diffuser's so when people upgrade for yeast to pressurised they get left with a diffuser they no longer need. With in a day of me posting my wanted ad I received 3 responses for a free diffuser! So my tip is don't be afraid to ask!
Although please bear in mind I am not encouraging you to beg, remember that there are lot's of kind and generous people on here that can help you out, but then when you do have a successful planted tank, do give something back, and offer your spare trimming's when you have any, that way you have a circle of generosity which is fair if every one embraces the concept!

well done mate this Hobby is costly im all for helping on another im also a great fan of sticking stuff together and making what i need for free (or close) one day ill finish my tank and put up some pics one day

If You wanna longer and more stable gas output from bottle add one teaspoon with baking soda and 1 sachet will be enough with yeast .
And before make solution dilute in some 100-200ml warm water (Not hot !) yest + pinsh or two sugar and mix around 10min, then add this solution to all other ingredients with water in bottle, mixing aeration for yest bacteria faster activation.

Regards,

yes, that is what I did with the yeast, but I just shook it all up together in the bottle and it was producing with in 40min! There are nettles in my tank because the apple snail's eat it and it is high in calcium for their shell's!

they did not have any flower's on them when I put them in, I only have snails in there at the moment, but when I introduce the shrimp and fish I will stop, are nettles bad? I was recommended to use them on another forum.

:D That was a double take I had to look twice there, I thought that was a nettle :wideyed: Nettles contain some kind of acid don't they that causes the sting bit? I'm not qualified to say. I wouldn't put them in to be on the safe side, I would imagine they get what their shells need from algae and plants that grow underwater.

If you can get a t piece and second bottle connected to your system it will improve production if you set them off on alternate days.

Yes, that is why I boil them, once boiled they don't sting, and the acid's are broken down by a naturally occurring enzyme in the nettles, so I wouldn't imagine it is a problem! :D I am very happy with my co2's current production, so I dont think it will be an issue!

Back