• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project My ADA Style 60p Stand - The Huon Pine Story..(Lots of Pics)

Sapherion

Seedling
Hello All,

Upon finishing my last cabinet, I decided to continue making more different types using varieties of Australian Timber. This time.. its Tasmanian Huon Pine. The reason I chose this timber is because its such a beautiful timber to work with, the rich creamy golden colour.. the grain and most of all, the oil smell!... I just visualize something so old and well preserved to be turned into a piece of furniture that you can keep and use in your everyday hobbies..

mtreadhuoncb.jpg

huonlogsmallformatmediu.jpg

huonpinenaturaledgeslab.jpg

Info:

Perhaps the most famous and highly prized Tasmanian special timber, Huon pine is the stuff of legends. It is Australia’s oldest living tree dating over 2000 years and one of the oldest known living organisms on the planet. It had a traditional use as the most favoured boat building timber due to its natural durability and ease of use. Today, it remains the preferred wooden boat building timber.
Huon pine is used across a wide range of products from souvenirs to well designed small artefacts, modern furniture, high class fitout, boat building & repair and sculpture. Freshly milled or dressed Huon pine wood is initially straw coloured and has a distinct aromatic perfume but ages after contact with air and light to a rich golden colour. It is a very forgiving timber to work across the woodworking disciplines, from turning, veneer/inlay to cabinet making. While care may be needed in finishing due to its inherent oiliness, it produces a high lustre. Birds-eye and figured Huon pine are the most coveted features producing intense lustre in the grain patterns.
Eighty five per cent of Huon pine forests are conserved in National Parks and fifteen per cent are managed by Forestry Tasmania. Forestry Tasmania surveys all salvage / harvest sites and plants Huon pine seedlings to ensure sites are fully regenerated.

I have been able to source from Tasmania a small quantity of boards in sufficient sizing in order to make this cabinet. It took me many months to find these pieces as most were very small/odd sized and very expensive to obtain due to the rarity and protection of species.

Here are pics of cutting/assembly in progress:

dsc00032xi.jpg

dsc00040ea.jpg

dsc00034pe.jpg

img0926ab.jpg

Finished product. Sanded and ready for some coats of Danish Oil:

img0928wt.jpg

img0930mt.jpg

img0931ca.jpg

Finally all done, after 3 coats of oil:

img0942lb.jpg

img0941q.jpg

img0943sq.jpg

img0940rq.jpg

Thanks for viewing all!.. Comments are welcome!

**PS. If you would like a custom cabinet made to suit you, please send me a PM for a quote including delivery. All cabinets can be made from natural hardwoods or MDF and painted.**

Re: My ADA Style 60p Stand - The Huon Pine Story..(Lots of P

It is a beauty. The first nature picture is mossy heaven to me.

Back