• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 260 l second attempt

Pinkmummy79

3yma9aqe.jpg

So after 10 months in the hobby, a steep learning curve and trying to follow Ceg's guidance on flow and circulation I have now rescaped with a couple of New additions, in 10 months this is my first photo posted to the forum:)

now running two jbl e1501 filters with spray bars and have also put together my cO2 reactor as per foxfish's design:)

Powerhead not on yet, but ready in case needed. Media swapped over to New JBL filter from the existing fluval 305 which was fitted through the drilled pipes in the base of the tank, so a full drain was required in order to bung the holes, long prepared for task over the weekend.

So I will be doing twice weekly 50% water changes for some weeks to help keep things moving the right way.

Sprinkling of osmocote placed under the molar clay, dosing ei and liquid cO2.

May start a journal;)
Thanks to Ceg and foxfish and my wife.
Cheers Clive [and Fran]

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 4

Looks great Clive, nice first photo.
Seems like you've crossed the t's and dotted the i's and have back up too so all should be good.
I'd start a journal, you can log progress etc for your own benefit and I'm sure to help others too :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady. Eventually would like to replace the huge bogwood with some more sensible redmoor root, should free up some planting space too.
Anyone know how to deter my bristlenose from excavating under the bogwood?, I've had to remove the stauro from in front of his cave and the blyxa is buried with molar clay when I get home each day :)

Hi all
Anyone know how to deter my bristlenose from excavating under the bogwood?
Give him a cave under the wood, or put his cave (if he has one?) behind it. If you give can give them a choice of caves, 99% of the time they will choose a nice dark one with reasonable flow past the entrance. Not having a secure cave, to retreat to during the day, is stressful for them.

cheers Darrel

Hi yes the wood is one large cave, hollow and the plec lives in there apart from digging up my stauro;)

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

The plec is always there at feeding time:) he loves the JBL novo fect pellets stuck to the glass and can get his luscious lips right round them;)
He's a troublemaker though as he enjoys landscape gardening in his spare time:D

OK, so I should be receiving my second UP inline diffuser from the postie in a couple of days so I can split my co2 between the tow JBL e1501 filters, then I'll give it a couple of weeks and add back my previously removed reflectors, see how things go and hopefully start to fill out the tank with some nice plants.

If anyone has any suggestions i'd be most grateful, looking probably for something to fill in the rear behind the bogwood, there should be room for something nice hopefully, I can always move things around a bit too so any suggestions to help make it look great and fill out now hopefully my filtration, flow and circulation are ok, I may even remove the powerhead too and see how things are as with 2 x 1400 lp/h filters I should be ok with the 10 x rule now my spray bars are fitted the full length.

Thanks.

Clive, Fran and little Bob:)

Will be watching for your updates, as you're dealing with a lot of things in the same way that I'm planning to when I start up again in a few months time..! Keep them coming and good luck!

Will do pal;) been waiting over a week now for my parcel from Devon, need that second up inline and bubble coubter:) maybe tomorrow but as just rescaped, doing water changes Sunday and weds at the moment to be safe. Hopefully I'll split my cO2 Friday evening, stick some music on and tinker, then as I'm home Saturday will be able to keep an eye on levels, fish and all:) night night

Ok so cO2 is now split by the super manifold from Germany
u9azy2ar.jpg

Flow from the full length spray bar is just what I've been hoping for since January! Although I still have the circulation pump in the tank I've not had it on for over a week now and the plants seem to be just fine:)
So I have a tiny bit of bba remaining on some wood to the right side where the New additional inline diffuser has now been placed, I'm hoping that with the cO2 now fully covering this area I'll not need to spot dose this as I know it may damage my weeping moss if I do, so I'll give this some time to see what happens before adding back my reflectors which were removed some six months ago while I started saving for the New filters etc.
Only hoping I've now cured the gremlins of flow and circulation in this somewhat troublesome first ever planted tank, if I'd known then what I've since learned I wouldn't have bought such a deep bow fronted 260 litre to learn this great hobby;) I would have been content with a 60:)
So, maybe in a week or two ill be looking at putting some more plants in to fill it out a little, any suggestions most welcomed thanks:)
Only other New additions apart from the UP inline to the 2nd filter are some lovely pink ramshorn snails along with some black MTS from frothelmet, cheers.

CO2 now been running through both outflow pipes by the two UP inlines for just 5 days now so not expected much to differ from previous posts just yet. I do have small amount of bba on the sword at the rear which was there before the additional diffuser was added last weekend, hoping the better distribution of cO2 now through the full length of the spray bar will help rid this? Both drop checkers on each side are placed where the least flow may be, about 2" from the molar clay towards the front are both yellow at lights on:)
I need a ph pen without spending too much if anyone has any recommendations?
Holding off replacing the reflectors for the moment until all existing bba is banished. I've turned the powerhead on now too as noticed slight lack of plant movement at the rear, the sword again, so am doing all I can to correct things slowly before maybe adding some new plants to give some fullness and depth.
Pleased with the stauro at the front since re planting 4 weeks ago as this is now taking root and starting to fill out with no signs of any algae like I was suffering before the 2nd JBL e1501 was added, I do like these filters ;)
Maybe add an update pic tonight, thanks for looking and if anyone has any suggestions for plants etc I'd be grateful
Clive

Back