• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 200g window

Hi foxfish, no need to apologize. I spent way too many hours pondering different strategies for getting co2 in to my tank as it is a tricky topic. I made a diagram to hopefully explain what I did a bit better. All the equipment in the diagram sits submerged in the final stage of the sump. My main idea was that between the atomizers turning the co2 into mist, and the reactors forcing the mist down against its natural buoyancy through a bio ball obstacle course, all the co2 would get diffused.

1621513985862.png

Ok so you could be loosing a fair bit of C02 through the surface of you sump chamber, you can check this by adding some cling film over the top and see If becomes pressurised !
Have you tried the reactors with out the atomisers?
It may be possible to add the C02 enriched water directly into the main pump return, it would be best done with a Y connector and as far away from the pump as possible, you would need to increase the pipe diameter immediately after the Y .

Ok so you could be loosing a fair bit of C02 through the surface of you sump chamber, you can check this by adding some cling film over the top and see If becomes pressurised !
I'm most definitely losing some co2 out the top of the sump, but equivalently I would be losing it from the display tank that has double the surface area. I've tried to minimize the amount of surface movement in the sump, and am trying to grow a co2 cover for the sump out of frogbit.
Have you tried the reactors with out the atomisers?
I have not yet tried feeding the co2 directly in to the atomisers. Will test this when I have some time and share my findings.
It may be possible to add the C02 enriched water directly into the main pump return, it would be best done with a Y connector and as far away from the pump as possible, you would need to increase the pipe diameter immediately after the Y
What would the be the advantage of the Y connector approach? Wouldn't this just complicate the plumbing and put a lot more pressure on the reactor pump, which is comparatively weak?

Day 15

I ordered 20 ottos for my tank on day 4, expecting them to arrive 2 weeks later. 3 days later they showed up! Here are some pics of the little guys enjoying the space. So far I've fished out 1 dead body, and have seen at most 14 in view at the same time. They are good at hiding so I'm not worried.
day_15_otto_1.jpg

day_15_otto_2.jpg

day_15_otto_3.jpg

Overall the plants are doing well and growing. The Pogostemon Erectus just sits there looking melty (any tips?) and the Bolbitis mini is starting to melt a bit as well. One of the Bolbitus Heudelotii started putting out new leaves yesterday which had me smiling. The other Bolbitis is still dormant, and the rhizome is looking a bit black. Does this look like it will pull though?
day_15_bolbitis_rhizome.jpg

Some full tank shots:
day_15_front.jpg

day_15_back.jpg

Plant mass is still on the low side, but I added a few stems of hornwort for now. Thanks for viewing!

Week 5 and the tank has gone through some trims, and overall everything seems to be more or less growing. Here are the latest pics:

week_5_front.jpg

week_5_back.jpg

While the plants are all healthy, I think I lack the skills to make things grow neatly :rolleyes: So mad respect to those pros who make it look effortless. Does anyone know of any good in depth guides on pruning or have any tips to share?

week_5_colors.jpg

I've also introduced 10 emperor tetras to the tank. They are enjoying their new digs:

week_5_emperor_tetra_1.jpg

week_5_emperor_tetra_2.jpg

I'll be putting in an order for another 40 of these guys soon to complete the school. Lastly another flower in the sump 😁

week_5_lilly.jpg

Last time I kept emperor tetras they did a pretty good job of multiplying. In a huge, sparsely populated, well planted tank I suspect if you’re a bit patient their numbers will soon increase.

regards Ian

Really enjoyed reading this. And the photos look great. The whole co2 topic goes over my head as I have only ever stuck to low tech. (Maybe that could change in the future). Hope ur enjoying the tank and look forward to any future updates.

Week 10 and the villagers are happy. Here are some pictures from last week.

Emperor tetras swimming through the pass.
20210718_front.jpg

Corydoras just chilling.
20210718_2_cories.jpg

German blue rams playing.
20210718_rams_and_corys.jpg

20210718_4_rams.jpg

Blue rams with fry (tiny dots under the lower ram). They didn't waste any time!
20210718_ram_fry.jpg

Everytime I see a lotus like this my heart skips a beat, cant wait to get one for my new tank. :) Looking great!

Week 10 and the villagers are happy. Here are some pictures from last week.

Emperor tetras swimming through the pass.
View attachment 172188

Corydoras just chilling.
View attachment 172190

German blue rams playing.
View attachment 172189
View attachment 172191

Blue rams with fry (tiny dots under the lower ram). They didn't waste any time!
View attachment 172192

Beautiful tank, and ,lovely photographs @Michael1212 - out of interest what level are you running your Kessils at, and what camera are you using?

Everytime I see a lotus like this my heart skips a beat, cant wait to get one for my new tank. :) Looking great!
Completely agree, one of my top 5 favourite plants :)
Like heaven on earth 😍😍😍
Cheers Shangman.
Beautiful tank, and ,lovely photographs @Michael1212 - out of interest what level are you running your Kessils at, and what camera are you using?
Thanks Wookie, right now one of my 3 kessil a360x lights is broken. The other two are peaking at 85%, with red and amber maxed. I previously had them going to 100%, but I want to start to slow down growth a bit. The camera is a Canon Eos R. My two main lenses are a 50mm f1.4 Sigma Art, and a 100mm Venus Laowa 2X macro.

Thanks Wookie, right now one of my 3 kessil a360x lights is broken. The other two are peaking at 85%, with red and amber maxed. I previously had them going to 100%, but I want to start to slow down growth a bit. The camera is a Canon Eos R. My two main lenses are a 50mm f1.4 Sigma Art, and a 100mm Venus Laowa 2X macro.

Nice! I literally yesterday decided to treat myself with an upgrade from my aging 450D to a new M6 Mk II - I've not used a DSLR for about 10 years, so will need to refresh myself!

Nice! I literally yesterday decided to treat myself with an upgrade from my aging 450D to a new M6 Mk II - I've not used a DSLR for about 10 years, so will need to refresh myself!
Congrats on the new camera! It is the perfect hobby to compliment keeping an aquarium. Any lenses you thinking to buy?

Congrats on the new camera! It is the perfect hobby to compliment keeping an aquarium. Any lenses you thinking to buy?

Well I already have a few half decent Canon EF-S lenses (17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM + 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens + 60mm f/2.8 EF-S Macro USM) so I got an adapter to go with the M6.

Edit: Actually I forgot, I ordered the M6 as a kit so it comes with EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens too. I was originally only going to buy the body, but a UK based seller was offering the kit at a price less than everyone else was offering for just the body!

Last edited:
Back