• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Murky Redux

Kezzab

After nearly 2 years with the Rhinocerous I bit the bullet and rescaped.

The tank had an insane volume of plants (see For Sale) and I've reused may be half of what was in there.

To try and avoid issues I left the substrate basically undisturbed.

Wood is from a previous scape, been sat in a shed for a while.

Just planted shot.

20211204_213454.jpg

Everything has cleared now, so here's a "from this..." shot for posterity.
Some of the wood is till a little floaty, so there will be some minor repositioning in a couple of weeks (and the rock holding it down will be removed!).

20211206_073306.jpg

Do you find that when using a large quantity of wood, bba is more likely to occur due to the waste organics?

Hi, I've done 4 scapes in this tank using lots of wood.

In the first I used willow, and because I didn't know better, left the bark on. That rotted and I'm fairly certain was a contributory factor to poor plant health and algae, including BBA.

In subsequent scapes I used solid hard wood. I did have some bba, but I put this down to poor co2. Once I resolved that I had no issues.

In this current scape, I used wood from a previous scape that had been in the shed for 3 years. I soaked it for a week outside and then used a knife and wire brush to scrape and scrub off all the soft crud wood surface layer, 3mm deep ish.

The BBA I've got now is on old leaves that are clearly past it, all new growth is nice and clean. There is a bit of black fuzz algae on some hardscape, but I'm putting that down to the tank refunding its balance after being rescaped.

So in summary I suppose, might depend on the wood you use, but make sure your co2 is right.

K

what is the thin leafed rosette plant at the front in amongst the Tripartita?
Hi it's heteranthera zosterefolia. There were scraps in amongst the tripartita I planted which have created a happy accident. It is very vigorous though and needs trimmed regularly to keep it low.

That's me, sexy AF. 🤪

Back