• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

muddy substrate

Victor

Hi, guys! I'll reset my algae infested tank this week. So, I'll take this chance and to change the substrate. I was using only very thin quartz gravel (like a sand). Now I've treated a great amount of earth worms humus to put in my tank. It has 200 cm x 40 cm x 45 cm (height) and I have about 15 kg of this soil. Look that:

I've washed, dried and sieved the earth:
xZaLSG8.jpg

utxJVGw.jpg

As you can see in second picture, there are still a lot of organic matter in it. This is bad? I'll cover it with the same thin gravel. What do you think about? This substrate is good? Thank you.

Nice! But has no problem if the organic matter to decay and release NH3? This can cause algae?

Hi all,
Nice! But has no problem if the organic matter to decay and release NH3? This can cause algae?
I'd just use a thinner layer of the worm worked compost.

Because the soil has been processed by earth-worms, they have removed the nutritious cellulosic compounds, and most of the OM that is left has a low nitrogen to carbon ratio, making it slow to decompose.

Humus has a very high CEC, so it is quite useful in the substrate.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
A 3 cm humus layer is too depth?
I'd have less but it will probably be all right, how thick will the gravel capping be, I'd want at least the same depth on top of the soil.

Just make sure you have plenty of stems and particularly floaters (with access to aerial CO2) in the tank right from the start.

cheers Darrel

Just make sure you have plenty of stems and particularly floaters (with access to aerial CO2) in the tank right from the start
Hi, Darrel! But I haven't any floating plant. I'll start the tank with a lighting of 6 hours a day and 2 T8 tubes (30 w each). My tank has 200 cm x 40 x 45 (height). What do you thing about?

Victor are you in the UK? I've got plenty of spares you can have
Unfortunately, no. I live in Brazil. But I can get some floating plants here. But they're necessary even if I have very little light? If I don't put them in my tank I'll get algae? I have the normal underwater plants. Thank you.

Back